Sometimes I am completely lost (reading patterns)

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
HollieDolly wrote
on Oct 3, 2010 5:13 PM

Ok, so I am making a speed hook earflap hat (lyons brand pattern) and all of a sudden it is completely Greek to me.  It might have something to do with the fact that I normally stick to blankets, but I am in need of some serious help.

Row 3 says: Ch 1, turn, sc in first sc (ch 1, sk ch-1 sp, sc in next sc) across

What does the (ch 1, sk ch-1 sp) part mean?

In the previous row it was (ch 1, sk 1 sc, sc in next sc).  Are they saying the same thing?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 45
DeLaCroche wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 1:08 PM

I don't have the pattern in front of me to refer to the instructions for the previous row.

However, the pattern instruction that goes:  (chain 1, skip chain-1 space, single crochet in the next single crochet) across means that you will repeat this sequence to the end of row 3.

So, start Row 3 with a CH 1 and sc in the first sc.  Then, chain 1, skip the ch-1 space in the row below, and single crochet in the next single crochet.  Then, chain 1, skip the chain-1 space in the row below, and single crochet in the next single crochet.

Do you see the chain-1 space that you are supposed to skip?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
cannej wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 2:17 PM

Good Morning HollieDolly,  I did a search on Lion's website and think this (Speedhook Hat and Scarf Set at http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/60422.html?noImages=)  is the hat you're talking about.

And that this set of instructions is the one causing you confusion.

HAT
Using 1 strand each of A, B, C, and D held together, ch 34 (38, 42).
Row 1: Sc in 2nd ch from hook and every ch across – 33 (37, 41) sts.
Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in first sc, (ch 1, sk 1 sc, sc in next sc) across – 16 (18, 20) ch-1 sp.
Row 3: Ch 1, turn, sc in first sc, (ch 1, sk ch-1 sp, sc in next sc) across.

The short answer to your last question

HollieDolly:

In the previous row it was (ch 1, sk 1 sc, sc in next sc).  Are they saying the same thing?

is yes, you're doing the same thing in Row 3 that you did in Row 2.  The difference is when you worked Row 2, your previous row was all single crochet stitches.  Now as you work Row 3, your previous row (Row 2) will be sc, ch1, sc, ch1, sc, etc.

I've made bold that difference in the instructions above from the pattern.

It'll look something like this (very poor drawing, I know)

The pattern is written in this way to avoid confusion, actually, because there is difference in how the previous row looks.  Anytime there is change, a good pattern writer will spell out what should be done and where.

I hope this has helped and not made for further confusion. 

Cheryl

Not Ranked
Posts 2
HollieDolly wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 4:30 PM

Cheryl,

You went above and beyond!  Thank you so much for the help.  The different wordage threw me off.  I actually had started row 9 when I decided that I must be doing something wrong. 

You have made my night!

Thank you again!

Hollie

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
cannej wrote
on Oct 4, 2010 7:59 PM

HollieDolly - Glad I was able to help.  I was a bit worried that my wordage might be confusing. - Cheryl

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS