Need help with Summer Petals Cardigan from Interweave Summer 09

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
MichelleC@53 wrote
on Oct 6, 2010 7:38 AM

I'm a long time knitter and new crocheter.  The Summer Petals Cardigan convinced me to start crocheting, but I am having problems with the neck shaping.  I've finished both pieces, but the neck shaping does not appear to be the same.  The right side of the neck and armhole shaping is narrower than the left side and I redid it twice to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.   Did anyone else have this problem? 

Not Ranked
Posts 45
DeLaCroche wrote
on Oct 18, 2010 1:00 PM

Michelle, 

I know which cardigan you mean.  Which issue of Interweave crochet was that published in?  Was it last spring?

Anyway, I share your admiration of the design and am thinking this would be a nice cardigan to crochet for the office.

When I find the pattern, I'll see if I can figure out what is going on with the neck shaping.

Not Ranked
Posts 45
DeLaCroche wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 9:38 AM

Michelle,

Hmm, it's not really a beginner's pattern.  You're a brave one.

I have crocheted both the left front and right front and they are not the same.  I'm not sure if blocking would remedy that but first I went back to diagram.  I diagrammed the pattern to figure out whether the two sets of instructions for the left and right differed.  The next thing to do is go line by line to figure out where the differences are.  I'll let you know soon.

I have to say that although this pattern isn't that difficult in terms of stitches, the pattern could have been specified more clearly in those places where decreases are made and then you are instructed to continue "in pattern".  It's not really clear how you would do that in some instances. 

And, for what it's worth, I chose to crochet this in a merino wool (light worsted) with an E-hook.   It came out pretty well.

Did you state which size you were crocheting?

Not Ranked
Posts 45
DeLaCroche wrote
on Nov 16, 2010 10:56 AM

Michelle,

I'm happy to report to you that I have figured this out.  Big Smile 

After diagramming both sets of instructions for the left and right fronts, I compared the diagrams and saw where the pattern as written simply didn't give clear enough direction so that you would have easily crocheted "according to the established pattern" but in doing so would end up with two different front pieces.

I think I did what you did and ended up with one side wider at the shoulder than the other and, honestly, I found one mistake that was just a pure mistake on my part.  However, what I discovered in diagramming the right and left sides was that (1) the Row 12 instruction for the left is not a mirror image of Row 12 for the right even though the stitches are pretty much the same, and (2) Row 15 required a decision about what it meant to "continue in pattern".

I'm an experienced crocheter and, in my opinion, it would have made a lot of sense for Interweave to print the diagram for the neck and shoulder shaping for the left and right fronts.  If there would have been a clear face front detail photograph of this area of the pattern, that would have been helpful too.

I'll upload the diagram in a separate post and, since I ended up crocheting this garment, I'll take a photo when I'm done with each piece, and of the completely constructed cardigan.  I'd love to see yours!

I have to agree with you that despite the grief with the pattern, it's a pretty cardigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lostinayarn wrote
on Apr 11, 2011 8:56 PM

DeLaCroche,

Did you ever get the diagram made? I'd really be interested. I finally was able to start on this project and I've gotten the back and left side done, but am really frustrated with the right. Knowing it's not a complete mirror image helps a little. I've frogged at least 10 times though because the "cont. in estab. patt." is so vague. Would've helped too if there had been a stich count of some sort with each decrease. Anyway was curious to know if you had the diagram and could post it. I'm having the most trouble with the section for shaping the lower body  of the right (rows 1-8). Trying to figure out just what was meant by continue in est patt when the pattern changed slightly with the decrease stitches. [*-)

I'll take advice from anyone else who can figure this pattern out too! I've wanted to make this fortwo years now and am sooo close to finishing. The back was a breeze, but it had a lot more instruction with each decrease. This is my first garment so maybe it's just my inexperience. I've been crocheting for six years now, but never a piece of clothing beyond hats and scarves.

Thanks all!

Not Ranked
Posts 45
DeLaCroche wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 1:34 PM

I spaced out on coming back here to post the diagram.  But, yes, I did diagram it and I need to turn it into a pdf so I can upload it.  Check back soon.

Heh, once you start making garments beyond hats and scarves, you're totally addicted.  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lostinayarn wrote
on Apr 12, 2011 6:16 PM

Thanks! I'm afraid I'm already addicted. I've made afghans, hats, bootie, scarves, slippers, shawls, jewelry, and now my present attempt at the cardigan. I've also got a pair of socks on a hook in my basket. I keep saying I'd like to learn to knit too, but so far I've been so busy with all the things I can do with crochet I just haven't found the time! [;)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS