Hi :)

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 20, 2010 12:36 PM

Hi, everyone!

I'm Michelle and I'm brand new to crocheting. My mother and grandmother have been avid crocheters for years, and they recently challenged me to try picking up a crochet hook and see how much fun it is to crochet. (Also, they were commenting on how my two cousins and myself have never had any interest in crocheting, and I'm determined to prove them wrong!) :)

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what a good yarn is to start with for a beginner who's bound to make plenty of mistakes :P

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 2:10 PM

Hi Michelle,

DON'T GO FOR EYELASH YARN!!!!!

Really, if you're just starting out, stick with a nice, inexpensive acrylic or acrylic blend yarn. My favorite of all is Caron's Simply Soft. It's very reasonably priced and just like the name it is really REALLY soft! I make hats for cancer patients with this yarn.

It is a nice ply, so it doesn't unravel on your hook, it slides nicely over metal or wood hooks (and itself within a stitch) and there are wonderful colors to choose from. Another good choice is Lion Brand Yarn Vanna's Choice and Vanna's Choice for Babies (yes, that's Vanna White from Wheel of Fortune). Joann's and Michaels Craft stores usually have sales on these yarns, too.

Good luck and hope to see photos of your projects!

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL
http://4evercrochet.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 3:32 PM

Part of why the "soft" acrylic yarns are so nice to work with is that they don't rub your finger raw nearly as bad as the more coarse/cheap acrylic yarns. You'd be surprised just how quickly that spot on your index finger can get irritated from the yarn running along it as you crochet. 

I'm not sure what Caron Simply Soft blend I have in my stash, but it doesn't seem like it's a worsted weight. Whatever it is, I know I typically use a 3.5 or 4 mm hook with it to get the gauge right. 

Just starting out, you may want to go with a little chunkier of a yarn (not heavy/thick, just chunkiER) and a larger hook. It will help you to see your stitches and make finding stitch placement a bit easier.

Red Heart Soft is another great acrylic blend. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Oct 20, 2010 5:34 PM

One brief reminder: with Red Heart yarn, be very careful that you get the SOFT. I've had some issues that Jli2 mentioned with Red Heart's basic acrylic yarns being scratchy.

Also, I love using 100% cotton crochet yarn. You can get wonderful colors for under $2 at Walmart. One ball will make great washcloths. The cotton is soft. the washcloths gently exfoliate and they're easy to clean -- just throw them in the wash. They hold up very well, too.

All great ideas.

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL
http://4evercrochet.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS