Nicole's Cap

This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Oct 21, 2010 1:28 PM

I have a couple general questions about this free pattern by Sara Read. 

1.) Has anyone made it? And if so, did you find any errors in the pattern that I need to be aware of? I'm not experienced enough to know possible fixes or work-arounds if there are. (At least, I don't think I am!)

2.) Did you find that you had to adjust the overall length of the pattern? I'm thinking I'll just need to try it on as I go and see how it's fitting. I would prefer the cap sit snugly against the top of my head, but to accomplish that, it can't be too long. 

I'm really just looking for anyone who's made this pattern that might have any insights to share. 

Thank you!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Oct 21, 2010 6:29 PM

So far, the pattern is working up nicely. It's a simple pattern and repetitive, so you don't have to stay glued to the pattern.

I LOVE the yarn I chose - Opal sock yarn. Wool/cotton/poly blend. Not as itchy as the other sock weights and the color is so pretty!

I've never made anything to "fit" before, so it'll be interesting to see how well I do. Hopefully there's no frogging in my future!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Oct 22, 2010 11:13 AM

I'm hoping Sarah will respond since this is her pattern. 

I am wondering what the approximate diameter of the sc rounds should be before you begin with rd 18? 

I'm using a 3.75mm hook and sockweight yarn, but am starting to doubt that the diameter will be enough before beginning the open pattern work. It's hard to tell by the pictures on the pattern. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Oct 22, 2010 3:15 PM

Here's what I have done so far. It's measuring 5 1/4" across from point to point. I have completed through round 17, which is the final round of this particular stitch pattern.

As I examined the different photos of the cap here on the website, it certainly looks like this portion is larger. I don't think my tension is too tight, because again, comparing against the photos, the tension appears just as tight. 

I'm really starting to wonder if the yarn I got isn't the right weight, although it is sock yarn (#1)? 

I committed a cardinal sin - I didn't do a gauge swatch. That'll teach me. {sigh}

So before I continue, I'm asking for opinions on if you think I should continue on with the same stitch pattern for more rows before I start with round 18. 

A quick word about the yarn itself - it is a self-striping yarn, which I hadn't really considered when choosing it. I based my choice more on color scheme (well, cost too). As it turns out, I think I'm beginning to like how it's striping. In fact, I think I prefer it over a shorter veregation of colors, such as on the pattern. Just my opinion. :-)

Thank you! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Oct 22, 2010 3:22 PM

Hi!

I crochet hats for cancer patients and have found that measuring across the top (as you show here) 6 1/2 inches makes a nice snug hat. 7 inches makes a hat that sits comfortably on the head, but is not tight. I'm afraid that 5 1/4" will be too tight for an adult head. Can you follow the pattern increases until it measures closer to 6 1/2"?

I never work with a pattern for my hats, I just increase until I get to the diameter I want and then work the sides.

HTH.

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL
http://4evercrochet.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Oct 22, 2010 3:30 PM

Hi Shellie, that does indeed help.  It's looking like I can get 9-10 rows of sc in 1". The pattern calls for 16 repeats of the sc rows. Those 16 rows are what got me to 5 1/4", so I think I'll need to do at least another 12-15 rows to get me to 6 1/2". (I may ease up on my tension just to hurry it along!)

What I need to figure out now is that if by increasing the number of rows (which will increase the overall number of stitches), will it affect the next round where I begin the next part of the pattern?

By the end of each round, the pattern always leaves off on an even number, so no matter how many rows I add, I should always end up on an even number, which to me, means that I should be able to continue with the pattern, just adding extra repeats of the particular stitch sequence. Does that sound right? 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Oct 22, 2010 6:33 PM

Jli2,

What I would do is stop for minute and take some scrap yarn. Follow the lace portion of the pattern enough so that you can see how many stitches it will take for one complete pattern. Then you can see if your increases will affect the layout of the lacing. Most hat patterns that call for specific increase amounts with a pattern to follow, are very forgiving when rows are added. What I mean is that the lace portion of the pattern should be okay.

Let me know what you find out. I'm intrigued with this hat shape.

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jennyrobot wrote
on Jan 26, 2011 5:47 AM

I am working the cap in a superwash sock yarn right now. My hook is one size up, and thhe crow is not sitting as flat as yours. (I hope this will be ok in the end.)

I have a question for round 19, I cannot locate a reference to the V stitch anywhere in the pattern or on the CrochetMe website. I will search elsewhere and hope that it is a standard stitch that will present the same as in the photo, but would love any reference you might have.  Thank you! -Jennifer

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Jan 26, 2011 10:02 AM

You may want to contact Toni Rexroat, who is listed on the pattern. She is usually online most of the time.

What I've used to make the V Stitch is DC in stitch, ch1, DC in same stitch.

However, when looking at the hat, the gap at the top of the V seems larger than what I usually end up with, so there may be more than one chain between the DC stitches (in same stitch). Does that make sense?

Finally, don't worry if the crown is not laying flat. Remember this will be a hat and will end up being a dome shape. As long as it is not too tight (the curve) you should be okay. If the hat is beginning to curve too sharply, the hat may end up too small. Of course, saying that, the rest of the hat is the V stitch which will be more stretchy than the base stitches. Big Smile

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jennyrobot wrote
on Jan 26, 2011 12:28 PM

Shellie,

Thanks for your quick reply!

After searching too many things, I re-read the pattern for the 10th time, and found the reference right in front of my face. Surprise That will teach me to get stuck late at night without my glasses. For anyone else as blind as me, it is a one liner after the notes at the beginning of the pattern.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Jan 26, 2011 12:34 PM

Jenny,

Been there -- done that! Wink

I was stuck for 3 weeks on a set of pattern instructions. Sometimes you just need a little nudge to clear up a confusing set of steps.

Glad I could be the "nudge". Smile

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS