Help please!

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
JenNNk wrote
on Oct 25, 2010 5:34 PM

I am trying to make a blanket that has me decreasing.  The pattern says to dc3tog over the next 3 stitches and I have looked in my book-crochet for dummies and online for how to do that.  Every time I think I've got it half way through the second row my project appears lumpy instead of flat and smooth like the picture.  I have taken it out now at least 10 times and started over, all with the same result.  What am I doing wrong?  Please help.

Thank You,

JeNNk

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jwnolde wrote
on Dec 10, 2010 6:23 PM

This is one way to explain it:  (Yarn over, insert hook in next stitch, pull up loop, yarn over and pull through 2 loops on hook) three times.  Then, yarn over and pull through all loops on hook. 

Good luck!  I hope this helps...

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 28
physicsgirl wrote
on May 3, 2011 4:37 AM

It might look "lumpy" just because it's not worked further yet... or blocked after project completion.

Think of decreasing stitches like making a small dart, and increasing like a making a small gusset.  Darts and gussets in clothing are used to nip in areas and curve out areas because the human body isn't a flat board (even for those of us less well-endowed).  In dress-making, a dart or a gusset, just sewn, looks pretty terrible -- it needs to be ironed.  Think of crocheting the same way.  Working the next row over will help smooth the bumps, and so will blocking the project to size after completion.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS