Selling your crochet

This post has 33 Replies | 15 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 9
joyenglish wrote
on Feb 1, 2011 10:04 PM

Raysida,

I am curious about your target market. Do you live in South East Asia? Why those particular countries?  I understand Singapore would be a good market. They are a market to the world. Brunei is a tiny country. Who are the customers in that market? Malaysia: is it tourist trade?

I am thinking of doing an online crochet business and wondering about target markets outside the US. I teach overseas, most recently in Korea, and it would be good to find customers in other countries.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
martinjones wrote
on Feb 21, 2011 8:13 PM

well, manouver is one of the most expensive things actually, you must price your work, and this speacially is really hard, the most important it's that you value your work, your time, and your effort, and not sell them cheap.

Web Designers Glebe

i wok at my office

Not Ranked
Posts 9
joyenglish wrote
on Feb 21, 2011 10:05 PM

"Well, manouver is one of the most expensive things..."

I don't understand this phrase. Manouver what?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 380
lanesgma wrote
on Feb 21, 2011 10:19 PM

Maybe they meant to say manpower

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Feb 22, 2011 5:16 AM

Hi,

I love to make scarfs and some of my friends saw my work, then some other people (Im' working whyle my son is training in the cafe of the sport club) and had a few orders so I sold 4 items now.

I will continue because I received a proposition to do a "private sell" : one friend offers her house to shaw the items you want to sell (I will be accompanied by a friend who makes jewellery) and you have to manage the invitations....

I never care about the yarn, color or model, I just make the model that I like and it seems that's the good way.

Concerning the price, my option is to double the price of the yarn because I'm totally unable to count the hours Ive worked on the scarf.

Don't be shy, show what you do and the byuers will come to you.....Yes

Valérie (from Brussels).

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bySherriLee wrote
on Feb 27, 2011 1:52 PM

Hi, Bindu!

I have read through the previous responses and I have to agree with everyone.

I have also found that there is no way to "make a living" on selling finished pieces alone. If you design a few key pieces that are cute/beautiful/unique, easy to make in quantity and with a reasonably priced yarn, then you can turn a nice profit.

Besides that, a full-time crochet biz definitely would need to include designing and selling patterns and teaching crochet lessons/classes.

That's where I am now, in the beginning stages of my full-time crochet biz. I work part-time at a local yarn shop, teach crochet classes and private lessons, design and sell original patterns and my "bread and butter" items are my baby hats and infant headband sets.

With all this, I have barely had time to establish much of an online presence. Most of my sales are word-of-mouth and local craft fairs.

I am working on a blog, a FB business page and an Artfire shop, but they all take a back burner to getting the projects out the door. Big Smile

In answer to your fiber question, I use mostly wool blends and silk/wool or silk/alpaca blends, but I have not ventured into selling items from pure silk. (Very expensive.) I do some cotton, but cotton is not as stretchy as wool, so doesn't work as well for the hats. When I do use cotton, it is mercerized Pima cotton or Egyptian cotton.

Hope this helps!

SherriLee

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Johnny509 wrote
on Apr 9, 2011 11:23 AM

I've sold a few of my creations on ebay, didn't get much but it's nice when somebody buys something that you made and gives you some good feedback.

This years Radio 1 Big Weekend 2011 is next month! With this years line up it could be the best year yet.

Stride Rite Coupons

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SueB@41 wrote
on May 19, 2011 1:36 PM

I havent had much success with selling made crochet items, I do make sales of my patterns but not enough to quit my day job. Problem is if you want a successful business you need to put in the hours, blogs, facebook, twitter, forums etc. With a day job I simply dont have the time to create, promote and market. My sales only come from people who discover me from google searches. If you create an original idea, find a niche and work on it I think you can make a business from crochet. Just check out the many successful etsy shops

Not Ranked
Posts 1
armandburkst wrote
on Jul 15, 2011 5:00 AM

I'm wanting to start a small business selling hand made crocheted beanies but I don't know which way to go.
Avalowerin

Not Ranked
Posts 9
joyenglish wrote
on Jul 15, 2011 5:38 AM

Why not try setting up an Etsy shop? Several people have mentioned E-bay, too. With Etsy, you will get customers that have come to that site specifically looking for handmade items. 

I'd like to see some comparisons between E-bay and Etsy. Has anyone tried both? In general, how have the responses been from either or both? Do you think enough people do a search with "crochet" or "handmade" to find you easily? I would think Etsy search works better because all the stores come up as icons on a page. With E-bay, you have to scroll through the responses and they usually come up by date. That would mean you have to keep posting to get to keep your products near the top of the list.  And that might be against the rules. I think Etsy rotates the order, so every store gets seen; someone confirm that please, not sure. 

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Sep 27, 2011 2:39 PM

It was a whole lot easier and cheaper for me to just do a site. With the fees for other websites selling stuff for me and paypal, it was so not worth it. I have crochet and crafts on my site, and also have a odd and end catagory where i can post all the stuff that i would have posted on ebay. I have been a ebay member for about ten years and the changes they have made and paypal has made is just horrible. The sellers aren't protected anymore. It's just sad. So i did my own site for free, did all kinds of free marketing to get traffic and it's great.

www.skullsandheartscrafts.muncom.com

Not Ranked
Posts 3
EmilyWrry wrote
on Oct 20, 2011 12:14 PM

Nice blog. Thank you for this article.This picture very good and this blog is helpful.

<a href="http://www.montana-showcase.com/">log furniture</a>
<a href="http://www.montana-showcase.com/">montana products</a>

Not Ranked
Posts 3
EmilyWrry wrote
on Oct 20, 2011 12:17 PM

log furniture montana products

This article generally Superb. Thanks to this excellent article.I read your blog and recommend this its very helpful and very nice.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
EmilyWrry wrote
on Oct 21, 2011 12:08 AM

log furniture montana products

I really like your post. Always been very informational. I hope you’ll keep up the good work and maintain the standard. Best of luck.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
yanzimiwu wrote
on Nov 1, 2011 7:33 AM

Hope to see more good posts in the future.

thank you

Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS