HELP - Wandering Seam!

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
knitpurlgurl wrote
on Nov 7, 2010 7:13 AM

So I am having an issue with finding the correct beg/end of the round. So another more experienced crocheter suggested I use a st marker to help me. So I frogged my project and started over with a st marker.

I’m having an issue. Perhaps I’m not using my st marker correctly. My seam seemed to be okay when I did the beginning section of the pattern which is to ch2, hdc every st and then join with a ss in the top of the ch2 from the previous round. But then the next section says to ch2, sc in the back loop in every st, then join with a ss to to of the ch2. For some reason as this second section is going on, my seam is drifting leftward.

I started by putting my st marker on the ss. Is that incorrect? I guess I am getting confused.

Here is the part of the pattern I’m working on: 
Ch 60, join using ss 
Rows 1-5: Ch 2, hdc in ea ch (60 total st), end round w/ slst in loop created by the ch 2 at beg of round 
Rows 6-10: Ch 2, sc in bl of ea hdc of previous round. End round with slst in loop created by the ch 2 at the beg of round.

So, here are my questions: 
1.)Where should I place the st marker? 
2.) When I ss at the end to join, do I skip the 2 ch that I made at the beg and join at the top of the NEXT ch or do I join IN the 2nd of the 2 ch?

Thanks. ‘Sorry if what I wrote is confusing. I really appreciate any help you all can offer so I learn how to do this the right way! :)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
42stitches wrote
on Nov 7, 2010 11:12 PM

For the markers, you may try putting them in the base of the hdc or in the first ch of the turn ch so they both end up on the bottom of the row.

As for your joining, you always want to join at the highest point possible. With the 2 ch join you want to join in the 2nd ch made, what would have been closest to the hook right after you made it. This way the tops of the stitches always line up.

Although it looks like it wants you to join between the turnch and sc in both sets of rows. Don't know why, but that's how it sounded to me. It may not hurt to try it working the slst into the tops of the tch's just to see if that helps you see it better.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit. And good luck.

~Abigail

^.^

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 164
Shellie2355 wrote
on Nov 8, 2010 8:40 AM

Also, it sounds like you're unsure about following beginning and ending instructions. My experience is that when a pattern calls for ch 2, hdc in each stitch, the ch 2 is the FIRST stitch of the row. This means that you need to skip the stitch that the chains are standing on. (If you look at the posts of the stitches in the previous row, you will see that your ch 2 is above the first post -- this is the one you skip, because the ch 2 IS the first stitch -- I hope this makes sense).

Now if you're working in the round, you should be able to clearly see the start of the next round, as the previous round will look "taller" and then you join with a slip stitch in the top chain of the beginning of the previous round. This top chain will be lined up with the next stitch. And YES, it will look like the beginning of each round will drift leftward. That's normal.

I write/create many patterns and I always use stitch markers when working in rounds. I usually make the first stitch of the round, then slide my stitch marker under the 2 loops at the top of the stitch (where you will create the first stitch in the next round). This makes the beginning stitch very visible and easy to find when you work back to it. For the next round, I can usually slip my hook under the loops beside the marker, make the stitch and then move the marker to the top loops of the newly created stitch. I think, until you get used to it, though, you should remove the marker briefly, make the first stitch of the new round and then replace the marker immediately, and then move on.

I used to put the marker around the post, but found that it got confusing with certain yarns and certain stitches. If you place the marker in the loops at the top, you can't miss the beginning of each round.

I hope this helps! :)

Shellie Dunn
Somonauk, IL
http://4evercrochet.blogspot.com

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 28
Astorin wrote
on Jan 3, 2011 8:44 PM

When joining rounds with a slip stitch, a seam is inevitable. However, I have found a way to greatly diminish it. First, forget the chaining 2 bit. Chain only one, then join. As you join, pull your yarn so that the stitch just to the right of your hook tightens and disappears. You will still see a seam, but it will be much straighter and far less obnoxious. Depending on the yarn and stitch you are using it may not even be visible. 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS