THE OFFICIAL MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S SHAWL CROCHET-ALONG

This post has 140 Replies | 31 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 129
Sarah Read wrote
on Dec 3, 2010 1:06 PM

Let's make the Naskrent Midsummer Night's Shawl together!

You will need:

The pattern, which can be found either in your Summer 2010 issue of Interweave Crochet, or here, in our pattern store: http://www.interweavestore.com/midsummers-night-shawl

Yarn: Malabrigo Lace (100% baby merino; 470 yd [430 m]/1¾ oz [50 g]): #98 tuareg, 3 hanks.

Hook: Size G/6 (4.25 mm). Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.

Notions: Yarn needle; 4 stitch markers (m); scraps of yarn.

Gauge: Before blocking, smooth out Rows 1-5 and measure with yarn relaxed naturally: 6¾" from corner to corner; 4" tall from center ring of Row 1 to center tip of Row 5. Gauge is not critical.

For enlarged charts, go here: http://www.crochetme.com/media/p/110971.aspx

For errata, check here: http://www.interweavecrochet.com/corrections10.asp There is a mistake in Row 6 of the edging that I am hoping to have fixed soon, as well as some things clarified in a different part of the edging. So check back there when you're ready for the edging!

When I made this shawl before, I did it in a variegated lace weight. I love the way the petals are each a different color. I am going with another hand-painted yarn to get the same effect. But this time, I'm using fingering weight. And I'm doing fewer repeats of the lace pattern, to make a kerchief-style scarf. What's that? Last-minute holiday gift? You know me too well.

Here's what I'm thinking schedule-wise:

Dec 6th-8th: Select yarns and swatch.

Dec 9th-11th: Crochet through first repeat of lace pattern (Row 9).

Dec 12th-20th: Repeat lace section as many times as desired.

Dec 21st-22nd: Edging.

Dec 22nd-24th: Blocking.

Dec 25th: Give as a gift to another (or to yourself)!

This is a fairly rapid schedule, so please feel free to move at your own pace. Update your progress and share tips and tricks here in this thread.

Enjoy!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Michelle@91 wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 6:36 AM

Yes please!!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Aphreal wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 6:45 AM

I started this shawl a few months ago, but it's been hibernating while I've worked on a sweater from the fall issue for my daughter for Christmas.  Can I still join in?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
akephart83 wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 7:07 AM

Im so glad this was picked for a crochet a long. I never did a crochet a long before, mainly because I just never liked anything that was in one , and I never had the pattern for one. This time I do. YAY. im using knit picks shadow lace for this in forest heather. Im anxious to join the CAL for this.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
gardienne wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 7:36 AM

I'd love to join this too.  I bought the magazine this summer because I fell in love with this shawl and I started it but it got put aside.  Hopefully this will be the spur to push me on!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Sally Sews wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 7:43 AM

I'm in too!

I have two large cones of cashmere and silk I got from Colourmart that I will use - a very soft peachy-pink.  The schedule might be a bit hard to keep up with when I have a lot of things "on the hook" for Christmas, but I'm going to go for it.

Shawl length or a bit longer perhaps?

Not Ranked
Posts 9
JAMH wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 8:03 AM

i'm in Have until payday to buy the yarn and pattern. ( the 8th) this will be a present for myself and my first shawl

Not Ranked
Posts 2
akephart83 wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 8:07 AM

I def. want shawl length too.that color you have sounds gorgeous.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
on Dec 6, 2010 8:10 AM

I had started this a few months ago and had to put it down because I was opening a new business.  I hope to take a little time every day to crochet and get this finished to add to my shawl collection.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
photogmomma wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 9:21 AM

Oooh! Me me me! I started this a few weeks ago, but got side tracked by smaller projects... This would be the most intricate I've done before! This will keep me going on it - and I'll see if I can keep up with your schedule!!

Very cool!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KatherineS@3 wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 9:28 AM

I haven't done a crochet-along before but have done several mystery knit shawl-alongs (ages ago!). I'm more of a novice crocheter but always up for a challenge.  Hope to manage this with some variegated laceweight from my stash (but I don't know how much I've got!) - might have to spin something to go with it depending on how big I decide to make the shawl.

Bring it on!!

Katherine - Scotland

Not Ranked
Posts 4
BonnieSpins wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 9:47 AM

WOW!  I doubt that I can keep that schedule, but I'd like to try.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Rebecca Mc. wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 10:06 AM

I'm in! I bought the yarn over the summer but haven't started it yet. I will probably get a slow start as I'm finishing up schoolwork . . . but I'm looking forward to this!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
joanroberta wrote
on Dec 6, 2010 10:09 AM

What a beautiful pattern! I've wanted to make this shawl ever since it was first published in Crochet.  Now I'm ready to join you with 3 hanks of a considerably  darker blue (marine) malabrigo lace which I'll wind tonight.  This will be my first crocket-along and my most complex shawl to date.  And I'm going to try to stick to your schedule.  So I'm pretty excited about this project  Joan

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Dec 6, 2010 10:50 AM

Me too, just got back from Norway and have gobs of neat yarns to choose from

Page 1 of 10 (141 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS