Shrug Pattern Question

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Lillypat wrote
on Dec 27, 2010 5:56 PM

I'm using a pattern from Leisure Arts, "4 Stunning Crochet Shrugs" and the one I'm trying to crochet is the beautiful "Blue Shrug" on the back cover. I have, I think, correctly followed the directions for one side of the front, but the back has me stumped.  The directions say:  BACK, Row 1: with wrong side facing, skip next 10 dc from Left Front and join yarn with sc in next dc; sc in next 56 dc, leave remaining dc unworked [57] sc. Row 2 (Right side): Ch 3, turn; dc in next sc and in each sc across. Row 3: Ch 1, turn; sc in each dc across. Rows 4 thru 21: Repeat Rows 2 and 3 [9] times. Finish off.  I cannot for the life of me picture how to do this. I don't know where to go from the Left Front. Can anyone clarify this for me?  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SssH wrote
on Dec 28, 2010 10:55 AM

I don't have the pattern you are refering to but sounds like a mistake in the directions.  If you flip the shrug to the wrong side you will have the left front on your lefthand side and there won't be enought stitches to work the row.  I would try ignoring the left-front statement and just work from the wrong side, skipping the first 10 dc.  The dc and sc won't show much different either way but the pattern doesn't appear symmetrical.  You might also want to look at the next part of the pattern, the picture and/or finishing to get a feel for the shape when complete - ie. is the left front actually narrower than the right, or does it close differently on that side?  It will help you decide whether the side of the fabric or the left-front vs. right-front is the part that is in error.

Sorry if this isn't any help.   Might suggest you also look for pattern corrections on the web.   You can ask for questions at Consumer_Tech_KC@leisurearts.com  if you can't find anything.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Lillypat wrote
on Dec 29, 2010 11:57 AM

Thanks so much for responding to my problem. I checked the correction part of the Leisure Arts website, but the Blue Shrug was not mentioned, although there were a couple of corrections for the Black Shrug. I think you are correct in suggesting that the pattern has mistakes in the directions,  I may have to just wing it and see what happens. I think the left side may really be the right. The directions for the Back don't go up to the shoulder and neck, so I'll see if I can do that on my own. I'll let you know the results Smile  

I do appreciate  your replying and think you must be one terrific crocheter to understand the pattern as well as you did from my query!!  Kind regards.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Lillypat wrote
on Dec 29, 2010 2:00 PM

Just a note to tell you that a tekkie from Lion Brand wrote me back this afternoon, after I just wrote to them a couple of hours ago.  I am impressed! I  know you don't need/want to hear all the details, but I'm copying them here just to let you know how thorough they were!  Thanks for pointing me to them. I'll post a picture when the shrug is finished!  Kind regards, Lillypat

"Thank you for your e-mail concerning Leaflet #4357, 4 Stunning Crochet Shrugs. We are sorry you are having difficulty with the "Blue Shrug".
This shrug is made from the bottom up.  The body of the shrug is made in one piece from the waist up to the armhole, at which point you will divide the piece into the Left Front, Back, and Right Front as indicated for Row 1 of each of these sections.
When you begin Row 1 of the Left Front, you will have 105{119-133-145} dc. You will ch 1, turn, and sc in the first 23{26-28-31} dc only, so the remaining 82{93-105-114} dc are left unworked through the remainder of the rows on the Left Front.
When you begin the Back, you will skip the next 6{7-10-11} of these remaining dc (these skipped dc form the armhole) and join the yarn in the next dc and sc across the next 46{52-56-60} dc only, for a total of 47{53-57-61} dc to work across on the Back. After completing the 19{20-21-22} rows of the Back, according to the gauge of 8 rows = 3 1/2", the Back should measure just over 8" for the x-small and about 9 1/2" for the large (measured from the armhole to the shoulder).
When you begin the Right Front, you will go back to the remaining unworked dc and skip the next 6{7-10-11} dc (which form the second armhole) and join the yarn in the next dc for the Right Front, working across the last 22{25-27-30} dc for a total of 23{26-28-31} dc for Row 1 on the Right Front (which is the same stitch count as Row 1 on the Left Front).
We hope this clarifies the instructions for you so you can proceed with this lovely project without further delay.
Best regards,
Knit/Crochet Technical"

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS