Where can I find information in the U.S. on Turkish crochet oya?

This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
ebonypeaches wrote
on Feb 10, 2011 10:08 AM

I recently purchased the book, 'The Beaded Edge'.  It has wonderful patterns for edgings but it also introduces the art of turkish crochet oya  but does not go into deep detail.  I would love to learn these techniques to embellish my projects but it seems this technique can only be learned from someone who already knows this info.  There are only two books I could find on the net.  One in all Japanese and the other in Turkish/English but neither available in the U.S.  Anyone have any suggestions?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ssfred wrote
on Feb 10, 2011 1:27 PM

Hi, I started crocheting with a tiny hook and that truly is the only difference in regular crochet and Turkish crochet.  Pick a shell stitch, even a granny motif, use very thin crochet thread, such as DMC  Cebelia #20, or a tatting thread...any company.  The DMC Cebelia was just to give you an idea of how thin the thread is.  Usually a size 20 thread. Use a very tiny tip steel crochet hook such as a size 9 / 1.40MM.  Just practice with the needle and thread first.  Start with just single crochet and crochet a small square, then double crochet on top of that square, then treble.  Once you get those then graduate into a shell stitch.  Then when you get that down, edgings are simple.  There is also,  Interweave  Crochet Edgings & Trims: Harmony Guides.  It just uses bigger threads / yarn, but the idea, the gist (main point) of it all is it truly is the same normal crochet, just with tiny hooks and thin thread, you just have to change up your gauge to make the switch.  Swatches and practice and you can do it in no time.   Good luck

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ssfred wrote
on Feb 10, 2011 1:42 PM

PS.  This is a website of gorgeous patterns in picot that you might like if nothing else just to view the beauty of the art.  Have fun.

http://www.mypicot.com/crochet_patterns_collar_edging01.html

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ebonypeaches wrote
on Feb 11, 2011 7:23 PM

Thanks so much for the advice!  I love the patterns and I have lots of motif books.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Marnalah wrote
on Feb 12, 2011 12:51 AM

I, too, was inspired by Midori Nishida's books (I bought them in Japanese first, before they published The Beaded Edge in English) to look for more information on Turkish Crochet.  I just sent an email today to the Interweave folks asking if them to consider publishing, in English, the out-of-print Japanese book I think you were referring to (Tig Oyalari... crocheted oyas by Nanami Kou).  Perhaps if enough thread crocheters make the request, they will consider publishing it!  Here's hoping!

Short of that... we may have to organize a Field Trip to Turkey...

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ebonypeaches wrote
on Feb 13, 2011 11:28 AM

That sounds like a great idea.  I hope more people are interested enough to get something really cool started here.  From what I've researched, the art is dying because of a lack of interest in younger generations. 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Marnalah wrote
on Feb 14, 2011 1:22 PM

By the way... Midori Nishida has two more books in this series (in Japanese), if you can get by "reading the pictures" without the written instructions.  You can find them on ebay and at yesasia.com.  There's also a couple of people on etsy.com who sell oya items--good for pictures and ideas.  Also... if you find crochet thread from dmc/coates-clarke limited, there's a great crochet/tatting thread product called "Lizbeth Cordonnet" made by HandyHands (I mail order mine from DS9Designs).

For fun, here's a fall colours lariat necklace I made for my mom (I morphed a pattern from Midori's second book).

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p37/marnalah/Fall-colours-necklace/?albumview=slideshow

If you need any links to any of this stuff, just ask!

Pax,

Marnalah

p.s.  There's also a great book called 100 Lacework Flower Motifs (in Japanese) to which Nanami Kou contributed designs.  It's not Turkish Crochet but it's a lot of fun.  Great pics here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-Lacework-Flower-Motif-Japanese-Crochet-Pattern-BK-/310213623692?pt=US_Crocheting_Knitting_Patterns&hash=item483a2c3f8c

Not Ranked
Posts 4
ebonypeaches wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 5:20 AM

WOW this is great information!  I will be checking these out.  You might also want to check out Priscilla Armenian Lace.  Its a book available online for download.  Just google it and you should be able to find a link to download it. Its got a lot of great technique in it.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ssfred wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 1:03 PM

Ahhhh,  Miss EbonyPeaches you just hit the Mother Load...Wow that Priscilla site is great.  Go through each "Booklet" viewings.  Ahhhhh Geez!   Brings back a lot of memories.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ssfred wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 1:38 PM

PS  Again  the Google Search had many and I found this one with the Priscilla and oodles more was the one I was talking about in the last reply.  I write like people can read my mind. 

http://www.heirloomcrochet.com/hcprincess2.html

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Marnalah wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 9:13 PM

No worries!  By the way... here is a good *FREE* site for craft books that are more than 50 years old and are no longer copyrighted:

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/completelist.htm

It's kinda like the projectgutenberg of craft books.  There are organizations out there that charge for these books (as cd's or pdf's), but they really shouldn't be (as they are not, in turn, paying a publisher or author).  If you have a specific book in mind, when you get to the above page use the ctrl+F function and type in the search words (ex. priscilla) to have the computer scan the page for you.  I've found a whack of great, old, copyright-expired books on this site.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Marnalah wrote
on Feb 15, 2011 9:15 PM

Thanks for the resource!  Looks great!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ssfred wrote
on Feb 16, 2011 11:53 AM

Excellent.  I have learned a lot from you.  Thanks so much.  Talent in textiles and the computer, best combination in the world!  This is fun.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Marnalah wrote
on Nov 29, 2012 3:20 PM

Newsflash!  "The Beaded Edge 2" is now out.  My copy just arrived from Amazon.ca and it's very well done.  It even has a six-page section in the middle explaining the history of Turkish Crochet (with great pics).  Well done, Interweave!

Also, Nanami Kou's first book on Turkish oya has just been republished in Japan... so here's hoping her book of crocheted Turkish edgings is soon to follow!  As soon as I see it, will post the info. here!

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS