SC multiple increases at each end of row. Now rows are curving downward - HELP

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
snowgooseusa wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 6:11 PM

I am working on a cardigan that works the sleeves in the main pattern instead of making separate sleeves. I have tried everything under the sun to get my sleeve increases to work without curving but I am lost.

Instruction is for Left Front as an example:

Inc 1 st at beg of next RS row (side edge) and 2 sts at this side edge on foll row.  These two rows are repeated several times.

I understand INC 1st at beg of next RS Row, my problelm is when I increase 2 sts on this same edge (ws) my work starts to curve downward.  I have tried every thing I can remember but it always starts curving if I add more than 1 inc at the end of a row. 

The back was the same way except you add 2 sts on each end every other row and it still curved. I made adjustments but I know it is far from correct. I will need to redo the back once I figure out why it is curving.

Can someone please straighten me out...if possible. I have looked every where for info but nothing popping out at me.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 44
RichardRose wrote
on Feb 17, 2011 10:14 PM

I've never tried this on such a large project as a cardigan so you can take my advice with an appropriate amount of NaCl.

If the increment is to be done at the start of the row, make a chain equivalent to the number of stitches to be added plus one and sc into the chain. If the increment is at the end of the row, add a chain to that end that is the number of stitches to be added using a separate strand of yarn.

I have used this technique on baby's jackets as that was what the pattern called for but I have no real idea if this will work for the pattern you're currently using.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS