OFFICIAL SIDNEY'S SIDEWAYS SOCKS CAL

This post has 726 Replies | 37 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 101
HumorMe wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 2:11 PM

Cicatrix, may I make a suggestion about your ball of yarn that starts with black?  You might consider cutting off the black part and starting with a section that is a lighter color.  You can always use the black if you need it later, to finish off the sock.

Also, I have a bit of a hint for everyone.  When you get to Rows 9 to 24(26,28) or whatever it is, if you place a marker when you go from "sc in blo" to "sc", and another marker when you go from sc" to "sc in blo", you will not have to count.  You will know when you reach first marker that you sc until you reach the second marker, where you will sc in blo again.  Saves a lot of wear & tear on the brain if you have little ones underfoot, or you are trying to watch a great movie!  Confused

Also, you might slip on a marker when you first start Row 9; then if you have to rip out any rows after Row 9, you will know which row you are on when you start up again.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Mar 17, 2011 2:39 PM

Is anyone else as green (no St. Pat's Day pun intended) as I am with this fiddly little yarn and microscopic crochet hook?

I have a renewed respect for anyone who's knitted or crocheted socks and for hosiers throughout the world!

Deb

If you don't challenge yourself, you don't grow.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on Mar 17, 2011 2:45 PM

I'm reminded why I usually stick to baby socks!!  :-) 

I'm on Row 11 of my 'practice sock' (I wanted to make one before I dig into the Poems yarn - especially since I've read that Poems doesn't frog well!!) and it's starting to go more quickly since the rows are just repeats, but these are definitely time consuming!!

Pam

Pam

Traveling the US - currently in Oregon

My Etsy shop

My Patterns on KnitPicks!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Mar 17, 2011 2:55 PM

I'm now confused.  I'm on row 2 toward the end, the last sc blo next 42(49, 56), okay, I only have 15 stitches left to the end!  What happened?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 59
kdusza wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 3:22 PM

That is exactly what I am doing now, no counting!!    Didn't Sarah suggest markers once upon a time?

I don't mind counting, I rather enjoy it to take my mind off other things, but sometimes it is more fun to watch a movie or listen to conversation while crocheting. 

With the first pair I made, I had everyone trained. If they had to interrupt me, I would immediately say out loud the stitch I was on, like 45.  They then knew that after we had discussed whatever pressing issue they had, they were to remind me what stitch I was on. The kids would say "45" and then leave me be.  My very own little stitch counters...only they are in their 20's.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Mar 17, 2011 4:36 PM

Okay, my bad, I repeated directions within row 2.

But then.......Well, I'm off my count even allowing for correction.

So......I decided to rip stitches with the Poems yarn.  Not. 

I literally can't untangle the stitches, the hair of the yarn twists together and is bound together for life.  Needless to say I gave up and put in a call to the distributor I ordered from.  One skein is unused and I'm sending both back with the unrippable sock attached to the skein.

On a brighter note, I have some hairless sock yarn and am willing to give it another go.  I've invested too much time to just let it defeat me.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on Mar 17, 2011 5:47 PM

How frustrating!!  :-/  Are they going to refund your total cost for both skeins?

I'm so glad I decided to make a 'practice' sock before using the Poems yarn!  It's gorgeous but sure doesn't sound like it's great to work with. 

I'm feeling more confident that I know what I'm doing - even if my socks aren't *exactly* what the pattern says, at least I'll know they turn out okay. I can live with that.

Pam

Pam

My Etsy shop

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Mar 17, 2011 6:29 PM

I left a message on customer service line.  Should know more tomorrow.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 68
JoM wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 9:24 PM

thanks ladies.Ypu have all made me laugh and smile tonight.  You have brightened my night! I will definitely use the stich markers, as I get paranoid about losing my place. I'll go back and count and recount. I'm embarassed to say that I haven't gone very far with my gauge swatch, because other things have demended my attenetion. But I am going to turn all those demands on my time off this weekend. Thanks again crochet buddies!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Sis3boyz wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 9:42 PM

A row counter is a little plastic rectangle with a couple buttons you push to keep track of rows and stiches. You can usually find them in the accessories section near the crochet hooks and knitting needles. I've been doing needle work for 4o years and never saw the need to buy a counter. I just keep track with a paper and pen making a hash mark for each row or stitch. I do a lot of complicated patterns and find this method is better especially for Aran styles where several patterns are happening at once. Save yourself some money, don't bother with a fancy gizmo and spend it on yarn instead 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Sis3boyz wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 9:54 PM

Just follow one row of the pattern at a time but use a separate ball of yarn for each sock. Work one row/round, then pull out your hook transfer over to the other sock and work the same row/round on the second sock. Not much different than knitting two at once other than you have to move the hook back and forth. If you're like me and have extra hooks you could have a hook for each sock as well, then you can just do a row/round set down sock #1, then do the same row/round on sock #2 and not have to fiddle switching a hook back and forth. Hope this helps!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
on Mar 17, 2011 10:04 PM

Oh my goodness!!  I just finished my practice sock and I am *loving* the way this thing turns out!!  It's worth the confusing start and all the keeping track of stitches and rows.  I see several pair of these in my future. 

I may change the cuff length and I'm not sure about really wearing them with shoes, but they are awesome slipper socks. 

Can't wait to get started on the 'real' pair with the Poems yarn!  :-)

Pam

Pam

My Etsy shop

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
chickee wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 11:18 PM

I'm late to start.  AND I have never crocheted a single sock let alone a pair.  LoL  I'm going to give it a good try though.  I have been looking and reading over this pattern since buying the magazine a few months ago.

Now I just have to get a second ball of my fave baby blue/tan verigated fingering yarn and find some stitch markers.  For some reason I haven't been able to locate any locally and will have to make a trip to Michael's Craft store for them.  I was going to skip getting them but after reading all the posts I think I will NEED them and not just my normal tucking of a contrasting color yarn in the stitch.

I was very happy to find that I have a Boyle hook that is 2.55mm. 

This is going to be an adventure for sure!! 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MarceeC wrote
on Mar 17, 2011 11:36 PM

I started working on my gauge swatch today. I have some doubts about this yarn as a good sock maker. It's a little scratchy. Granted, I'm sensitive to wool, but I have found some wools more irritating than others, and I imagine one would want soft fibers for a sock. I'm not making these for myself, but I hope they soften up as I work them, or perhaps with washing, or I'll have to get my friend some silk liners to wear with them.

The varying thickness of this yarn and making stitches into the back loops only makes it a little difficult for me to keep track of my stitches at the ends of rows. A couple times I've noticed I've lost a stitch, and I have to tear out a row so I can add it back to keep the swatch square. I hope I acclimate before I get into making the actual sock where the rows will be much longer and stitch count consistency will really matter. Right now I'm not enjoying it much, though.

One plus: the swatch is about the right width so far, so I may get to use the hook size indicated in the pattern.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 101
HumorMe wrote
on Mar 18, 2011 3:03 AM

All you really need for a marker is a short piece of yarn or crochet thread in a contrasting color.  I use pieces that are 1½" to 2" long, and just lay them between the stitches I want to mark; then when I get to that spot on the next row, flip the end of the marker over to lie between two stitches on that row.  You can do this over and over, then when you have used most of the marker yarn, just pull on it a bit to have enough to mark the next row.  An added bonus of this method is that if you have to frog a row or two, the marker will still be there in several rows below.

Page 10 of 49 (727 items) « First ...  < Previous  8 9 10 11 12  Next >  ... Last » | RSS