OFFICIAL SIDNEY'S SIDEWAYS SOCKS CAL

This post has 726 Replies | 37 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 59
kdusza wrote
on Oct 6, 2011 10:51 AM

JJennifer, I love your rainbow socks!  You put the colors together so well!! 

I finally got photos taken of my finished socks, plus a little design experiment.  My big-footed daughter was kind enough to pose for me because the socks are  a bit large on me. I told her to "take first position" in dancer lingo, and she managed it quite nicely.   I started another cuff  with the squares at a diagonal and then tried to fill in with ripple.  It could work if I wanted to make a third sock, which I was going to do, but I'm ready for the next project instead.  Maybe someone else can play with it too...

Also AD, I used Knit Picks yarn on the heel of one sock and it is by far softer than the Brown Sheep.  I'm still learning about yarns and guess I that is a subject that requires constant study.  I'm glad this CAL gives me a reason and motivation to experiment.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Oct 7, 2011 10:43 AM

Hey there All -

I love, love, love the socks!  Great colors and very ambitious modeling poses all around.  I see I'm going to have to "step" up my game!  Yeah, that was pretty bad, oh well...

FYI - if anyone had trouble doing the heel on Shirley's Socks, you can now do it if you did the heel on Beaux Jeste Socks.  The directions are slightly different.  I found Beaux Jeste easy to understand and difficult to understand Shirley's, the directions are a bit different.  I'm currently working on Shirley's and have just turned the heel even as I speak.  I remember being so frustrated with Shirley's.  But then again, I was a sock newbie back then.  Now I have 5 sock patterns under my belt.

Okay, here is the link to the next pair of socks:

http:www.crochetme.com/media/p/89746.aspx

It is entitled The Ultimate Sock.

Pattern Notes:

I had to go to a 3.5omm hook

under Foot:  I could have shortened up the foot several rows (I used size Large) and it would have been a nice snug fit.

P.S. I have one more sock up my sleeve, so to speak (I;ve already made the socks) and patterns for 5 more.

So...back to a schedule for this sock -

10/29 have your supplies ready

11/5 make toe

11/19 make foot

12/3 make gusset, turn heel

12/17 make heel and ankle

12/31 make cuff

And we'll start our next sock in the new year.

Pics of socks to follow.

Any probs?  Post 'em here and you'll get answers!

If you don't challenge yourself, you don't grow.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
jjennifer143 wrote
on Oct 7, 2011 10:49 AM

Artfully Done:

OK I am "in" for the next sock CAL!  

Your pattern suggestions, leadership, and postings really keep me HOPPING!  SOCK HOPPING!  

(groan)

I love it!  Thanks!!!

Jennifer

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Oct 7, 2011 10:57 AM

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it! (blushing)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 59
kdusza wrote
on Oct 7, 2011 10:59 AM

OMG!!  If there were an award for corny jokes, you gals would be in the running!  LOL!!  Love 'em!!  

Hey Artfully, I've already done the Ultimate Sock, which was one of my UFO's I finished up before starting the Beau Jeste socks.  I wanted to try stretchy yarn so I made them in Cascade Fixation.  It seems thicker than a sock yarn but it works up fine, kinda fluffy and slightly thicker.   Maybe I will try them again in regular sock yarn...or go back to one of my favorites because I need replacements for ones that  just seem to leave my house with friends.

Thanks AD for all you do!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Oct 7, 2011 12:43 PM

kdusza -

If you like you could work on the Boomerang Sock.  It is next on my list of to do socks.

Here is the link:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/boomerang-socks

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Oct 7, 2011 1:03 PM

Here is a link from craftsy giving you a free preview to their newly instituted workshops.  Sounds like a CAL or KAL to me!

http://craftsyworkshops.com/wafne

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 68
JoM wrote
on Oct 9, 2011 10:53 PM

These are super cute! Very cheerful. Like Tori, I want to know how you did that pose!

Kdusza, I really like the third variation of your cuff. If you do make a sock, post it for us, kay?

I was going to make the Ultimate socks before we ever started the Syndney's socks. Wish I had time to do them now. (I'll follow along though and chime in.)  I'm just now finishing up my youngest grandbaby's  Christmas stocking. Have to attach the snowflake, jingle bells and her name. Next I'll be making a stocking for her mommy,(since I wasn't making stockings yet when she was born.) I finished 4  baby hats and some booties several weeks ago.

Jo

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 59
kdusza wrote
on Oct 12, 2011 12:14 PM

Hey Artfully Done, I checked out the Boomerang Socks and have already gotten started since I had that same yarn in my stash. Thanks so much for the link!!  I haven't had much time or gumption for crochet this last week...I lost my 17 yr old kitty on Saturday.  Gads, this year has been a real kick in the guts with my beloved pets!!

Now that I'm back with hook in hand, I must say these socks are very interesting...they use a stitch I have never used or even heard of before.  The linked double crochet!!  At first I thought it meant to work in rows and attach (or link in my mind) each row.  Oh Contrare!  It's a stitch unto itself, and I had to go look it up and fumble around with it.  It reminds me a bit of Tunisian because you catch a loop from the stitch you just did. 

If anyone is bored with the same ole double crochet, try this one. It makes the fabric less "holey" and it's supposed to be more flexible according to the instructions I found online.  Now I'm all charged up to see how these turn out!  Thanks again AD!! 

The instructions aren't real detailed and you're set off on your own as far as sizing, but so far so good! The photos help.

Also, has anyone tried the GarnStudio Drops crochet patterns for socks?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Oct 12, 2011 6:18 PM

kdusza -

So sorry for your loss.  I have a 16 year old kitty.

I'm intrigued about the new stitch.  Where did you find out how to do it?

I received a yarn order today.  Burgundy and gold for the Redskins for stuff for my hubby.  And some great striped sock yarn on a super sale.  And more on the way!

How's everybody doing?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 59
kdusza wrote
on Oct 12, 2011 6:43 PM

Thanks AD...I can't remember a time I didn't have a pet, so it's odd being alone in the house,  I feel at loose ends! 

I found the stitch in several places by searching for "linked double crochet."  The first hits were videos I couldn't access on the computer I was on, so I checked out Crochetville's list of stitches,  They are text only, but it made perfect sense to me.  It goes a bit slower and produces a great fabric...kinda interlocked.  I'm having a great time with it, but I recommend light colored yarn at first...it's not easy to see the little loop to catch with darker colors. Since I am using striped yarn the dark color comes along and causes me grief for a bit.

Sounds like your Hubby is going to get spoiled, lucky guy!! 

Again AD, thanks for finding the Boomerang Sock.  I find it very exciting to learn and try something new...especially when I can "get it" fairly easily.  Now I'm off to create a few more rows!!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kikiboo wrote
on Oct 13, 2011 8:13 AM

Hi I am Kiki I am from Rhode Island and I love to crochet I have just started to make myself socks and would love to join the Ultimate Sock CAL on 10/29.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 59
kdusza wrote
on Oct 13, 2011 11:04 AM

Welcome Aboard Kikiboo! 

I've already done the Ultimate Sock pattern prior to it being the chosen one and am hoping to get some photos posted soon.

I'm now at the heel on the Boomerang Sock...wish me luck!!   I'll try and get photos of these posted too...

Not Ranked
Posts 2
blueraven60 wrote
on Oct 14, 2011 10:32 AM

Elan also has great elastic yarn, similar to cascade.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kikiboo wrote
on Oct 16, 2011 3:32 PM

Thank You, I too have made a few pairs of U.C.S. but would like to join in the fun anyway.  I want to possibly learn some tricks to keeping them tight fitting, I found the 2 pairs I've already made stretch out once I wear them, which is very annoying.  I used Elann Sock It To Me wool/nylon sock yarn and a hook 2 sizes smaller than the pattern called for,  they fit perfectly when I first put them on. I am miffed.

Page 46 of 49 (727 items) « First ...  < Previous  44 45 46 47 48  Next >  ... Last » | RSS