OFFICIAL SIDNEY'S SIDEWAYS SOCKS CAL

This post has 726 Replies | 37 Followers
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
jjennifer143 wrote
on Oct 17, 2011 9:23 AM

Hi Kikiboo, my socks have somewhat "grown" on me too.  I think the suggestion to find a yarn with some elastic in it is a good one.  When you think about it, a wool/synthetic combo has no "reason" not to keep stretching.  The only post-creation thing I can think of would be to SLIGHTLY felt them.  This-here is risky business, but putting them in a mesh bag and washing them with other clothes on a "warm" setting in a short cycle might do the trick.  I would keep checking them every 10 minutes though, and be prepared to bail out of the process and hand-rinse them; then block to dry.

Good luck!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Oct 17, 2011 10:01 AM

Welcome to one and all!

I've just purchased Clover brand Elastic Yarn Thread.  It must be for knitters/crocheters because it shows a ball of yarn on the package.  It's 98yds/90m per spool with a built in roll holder as part of the packaging and the package is predominantly green.

You crochet holding yarn and elastic together as one strand.,  It is super fine so it won't show in finished product.  It costs about $7.  I think I ordered mine from Knitpicks.com.  I haven't tried it out yet.  Will report back with results when I do.

I haven't forgotten my promise of pics!

Here is a link to a pair of socks to crochet AND knit.  Merry Christmas!!!

http://crochet.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=crochet&cdn=hobbies&tm=400&f=00&su=p284.12.336.ip_&tt=3&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//loveyarn1984.blogspot.com/2008/02/chain-sock.html

If you don't challenge yourself, you don't grow.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
jjennifer143 wrote
on Oct 17, 2011 7:36 PM

Does anybody have a link to a crochet pattern for a robe, bed jacket, reading jacket, or any kind of sleepwear?

I may have finally stumped google.  The only things I can find are vintage, or poorly written.

Thanks ladies!   Ooops I am assuming we are all ladies, but maybe not!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kikiboo wrote
on Oct 18, 2011 6:50 AM

Thank You JJennifer,

I will give that felting suggestion a try!

Kiki

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Nov 1, 2011 7:21 AM

Everyone started on their ultimate sock?  Good!

I have come across a stitch that I don't know how to do.  The project gives directions on how to do it.  Modified half double crochet - directions given are for a double crochet.  Youtube and google are no help.  Can anyone help me?

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kikiboo wrote
on Nov 2, 2011 10:44 AM

I have the first sock almost done I will make a few pairs during this CAL for Christmas presents. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kikiboo wrote
on Nov 2, 2011 10:48 AM

I don't recall a modified half double crochet in that pattern, an extended single crochet yes, I don't have the pattern in front of me I will check it and get back to you later.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kikiboo wrote
on Dec 20, 2011 8:35 AM

Bed Jacket

exchange to knit    

Size 14-16

COATS & CLARK'S RED HEART CROCHET

WOOL, 3 Ply, 12 balls of Baby Blue.

Clark's O.N.T. Plastic Crochet Hook No.

2, or Milwards Steel Crochet Hook No. 1.

3 yards of matching satin ribbon, 5/8 inch wide.

GAUGE: 8 sts make 1 inch; 5 rows (3 dc and 2 sc rows) make 1 inch.

BLOCKING MEASUREMENTS: Width across Back at underarm--18 inches.

Length from shoulder to lower edge--17 inches.

BACK . . Starting at lower edge of Yoke, make a chain 22 inches long.

1st Row: DC in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across, until Row measures 18 inches. Cut off remaining chain. Ch 1, turn.

2nd Row: Picking up front loop of each dc only, make sc in each dc across, sc in turning chain. Ch 3, turn.

3rd Row: Skip first sc and, working through both loops, make dc in each sc across. Ch 1, turn.

4th Row: Repeat 2nd Row. At end of Row, ch 21. Drop yarn. Attach another ball of yarn to opposite end and ch 18. Break off.

5th Row: Pick up yarn and dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch, then dc across Back and other chain. Ch 1, turn. Now work in pattern as established until piece measures 7 inches from beginning of Sleeves. Break off.

LEFT FRONT . . . Starting at lower edge, make a chain 10 inches long and work as for first Row of Back until Row measures 9 inches. Continue to work as for Back Yoke until 4 rows have been completed. At end of 4th Row, ch 21. Turn. Now work in pattern until Sleeve measures 4 ¾ inches in all, ending with an sc Row. Ch 3, turn.

To Shape Neck: To Shape Neck: Skip first sc, dc in each sc across to within last 16 sts. Ch 1, turn.

Now work in pattern as before, decreasing 1 st at neck edge on each Row until 5 decreases in all are made --to dec 1 st, work off 2 sts as 1 st.

Work without decreasing until Sleeve measures 7 inches. Break off.

RIGHT FRONT . . Work as for Left Front until 4 rows have been completed. Drop yarn, attach another ball of yarn at opposite end of Row, ch 18. Break off. Pick up dropped yarn and work to correspond with Left Front. Sew shoulder seams. Sew underarm and sleeve seams in one continuous seam.

BODICE . . With right side facing (right side of work is the side with the ridges), attach yarn to lower edge of Left Front Yoke and work across entire Yoke as follows:

1st Row: Sc in first dc, draw loop on hook out to measure ¼ inch, yarn over and draw loop through, insert hook between single and double loops and draw a loop through, yarn over and draw through 2 loops on hook (knot st made), make another knot st, * skip next dc, sc in next dc, make 2 knot sts. Repeat from * across, ending with sc in last dc. Make 3 knot sts. Turn.

2nd Row: Sc under double loop of first knot st (to the right of the knot), sc under double loop of next knot st (to the left of same knot), * make 2 knot sts, sc under double loop of each of next 2 knot sts (to the right and left of the same knot). Repeat from * across, ending with sc in last 2 knot sts. Make 3 knot sts, turn.

Repeat 2nd Row until Bodice measures 8 inches. Break off.

Work a Row of dc across each Front edge of Yoke, keeping work flat. Turn this dc Row back on wrong side and sew in place.

COLLAR... Work a Row of sc closely around neck edge. Then work as for Bodice until Collar measures 2 ½ inches. Break off. Finish Sleeves in same way.

Sew ½ yard of ribbon on each side of neck edge for ties. Lace ribbon through Sleeves and tie ends in a bow.

Taken from Coats and Clark 1956

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Kikiboo wrote
on Dec 20, 2011 8:36 AM

I posted a free bed jacket pattern for you below.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Dec 23, 2011 12:08 PM

Happy Holidays!

I hope everyone's sock venture is going well.  I have been crocheting socks out of a book called Crocheted Socks and More Crocheted Socks by Janet Rehfeldt.  They all come out beautifully.  I bought the books through Amazon, they were $26 for both and they qualify for Super Saver shipping (free shipping!) 

Now for other news.  I mentioned awhile back that we were moving,  I think it will be the week between Christmas and New Year's.  It's complicated.

Anyway, I'll see what I can come up with from the free sock patterns out there in the new year!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
kamolina wrote
on Dec 28, 2011 12:50 PM

Also, I crocheted this "Chicken Kitchen" set for my sister:  a hot pad, two egg cozies, and a dish cloth.  It is made from Lilly Sugar 'n' Cream.  I forgot to mention that the leg warmers were made from Vanna's Choice yarn.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
cjamkhandi wrote
on Jan 5, 2012 10:00 AM

I too  would like to have an easy crochet sock pattern.  If anyon has one to post or email I would love to have it.  Seems like all the people I know all want a sock pattern and none of us can do it.   Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 3
cjamkhandi wrote

I too  would like to have an easy crochet sock pattern.  If anyon has one to post or email I would love to have it.  Seems like all the people I know all want a sock pattern and none of us can do it.   Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 3
cjamkhandi wrote

Page 47 of 49 (727 items) « First ...  < Previous  45 46 47 48 49  Next > | RSS