How do you make an Arrow or Arrowhead Sticth

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Yaya7xs wrote
on Mar 4, 2011 1:37 PM

I found a free pattern at www.favecrafts.com.  The name is "Arrow Stitch Crochet Afghan."  I don't understand their directions on how to make the stitch.  I have a hard time following instructions that are written.  I just don't have enough experience to do that.  I have searched all over the internet for a video of how to make this stitch.

This is how it is written on the free pattern:  Miss first st. 1 dc in next st.  Miss next 3 sts. 1 tr in next st.  Working behind tr just made, 1 dc in first missed st.  1 dc in each of next 2 missed sts.

I don't understand how to "work behind" the tr and then make a dc in the 3 sts that were skipped???  I tried it several ways, but none of them looked right.

Thanks for your help.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
SusanT@65 wrote
on Mar 10, 2011 10:49 PM

What an interesting stitch! One of the ways you tried was probably right but this is a dimensional stitch that may look strange to you if you've never done one before. Given that you have trouble with written instructions and I'm not an expert at writing instructions, I decided that a photo was worth a thousand words - once I got that far, I ended up with 10 photos including one of the finished stitch pattern! I inserted one of these. If you want to see the others, go to:

http://s975.photobucket.com/albums/ae235/lessa_13/Arrow%20crochet%20stitch/

Also: I have a bonus hint, I found that a tc was too short to lie comfortably across such a long area. I had to change it to a double triple (wrap yarn around hook three times instead of two times before inserting in your stitch). I don't know if that is due to my personal gauge being tight or not. You may want to try both ways and see what works better for you. You'll want the fabric to lie flat and not be puckered.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS