Hey Folks!

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Ian101 wrote
on Mar 20, 2011 2:11 PM

Hello there!

I... like so many others in this section, have only just started to take up crochet. I am currently finding it quite hard to knit in a straight line but I think im slowly getting there. I have nearly finished a small blanket as my first little project and... I'll be honest, it isn't great (all one colour) but I was told to start on simple things and work my way into more advanced projects. If anyone wants to give me some advice that would be great!

Thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 119
jli2 wrote
on Mar 21, 2011 2:14 PM

Welcome! Practice, practice, practice. The more you do, the more even your gauge will be. Don't be afraid to experiment with projects that use a stitch you're not used to. Take to the web and search places like nextitich.com and youtube.com for videos on how to work stitches. There are so many great (free) resources! 

When I first began a couple years ago, I made A LOT of cotton washcloths for myself. I got to try out different simple stitches and wound up with lots of useful little rags. 

If you have a local yarn store, that's another great resource. The one where I live has groups that meet twice a week for both knit & crochet and the women who work in there store have helped me figure out stitches or patterns on occasion. 

And we're a friendly bunch around here. You can always ask questions, no matter how silly you might think it is. :)

Good luck! 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Mar 22, 2011 9:01 AM

Jil is abslutely right!  pactice is the most important part of mastering any skill.  tension in stitching of any kind is key to the shape and feel of the object, and the only way to get to a comfortable tension is to practice.  but dont worry, it will come along quicker than you think.  Also there are hundreds of free resources available on the web and in craft stores.  as jil suggested, dont be afraid to branch out and try new stitches, tthis will keep you from getting bored and challenge you mentally.  Crocheting can be both a mental stimulant and a form of relaxation.  Enjoy!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS