Official Moth Wings Shrug Crochet-Along

This post has 72 Replies | 20 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,275
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 8:56 AM

Mimi Alelis'  Moth Wings Shrug is the perfect spring project and a great gift. A good friend of mine is getting married this summer and has been searching for the perfect shrug to wear with her wedding dress. This pretty crochet motif creation is so feminine and the luscious Nazli Gelin Garden thread is relatively inexpensive. 

Moth Wings Shrug, Summer 2010

I know I'm not the only one who has fallen in love with this delicate crocheted shrug. So I am hosting a crochet-along on Crochet Me. (See the schedule below.) Come join us and learn how to join motifs as you go and check out our new Crochet-Along page! 

Schedule

March 30th–April 6th: Order yarn and pattern.
April 6th–April 13th: Get gauge!
April 13th–April 20th: Work base row of motifs.
April 20th–April 27th: Complete the right front.
April 27th–May 4th: Complete the left front.
May 4th–May 11th: Complete the back.
May 11th–May 18th: Complete the sleeves and collar.
May 18th–May 25th: Complete the edgings and block.

Don't forget to go to the Interweave Store to get your Interweave Crochet back issue for almost half off. This sale goes through March 28th. Then I'll see you over on Crochet Me. 

Best wishes,

Not Ranked
Posts 6
clb_38 wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 10:17 AM

Ooh, I was hoping this would be a CAL project!  Yay.  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Leezy wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 11:01 AM

This Shrug has been in my que since last summer and I was hoping for a CAL. That way I am forced to get it done. Looking forward to starting this soon. Thanks so much. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
beewitte wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 2:22 PM

I can't remember where I first saw this, but it didn't make my list because I am scared of joining motifs.  It will be great to do this as a group and maybe get over my motif phobia.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BeckyB@5 wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 5:23 PM

I've almost finished my first CAL project (making the Sideways Socks) which turned out GREAT, so I guess I'm about ready to start on another!  I'm really glad this pattern got chosen, because it's been in my queue for awhile now and is one of the main reasons I bought the magazine.  It looks fabulous on the model...I'm just a bit worried about how it might fit on us older and wider ladies...  ;)

I'm also a little concerned about doing all that fine crochet work with all those little motifs -- so joining a CAL sounds like it just might be the ticket to keep me on track!!

On Ravelry.com I found out a LYS carries this cotton thread, so I'm going to go purchase it there this weekend.  It comes in so many delicious colors it will be hard to choose one, but I really like the aqua color in the picture -- it looks so spring-y, and would show off a summer tan, so I might just opt for that.  Looking forward to seeing what colors everyone else chooses...

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
RuthS@8 wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 5:25 PM

There are various Nazli Gelin Garden threads. #3, #10, Metallic and others. Which is the correct one?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BeckyB@5 wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 5:43 PM

RuthS, I'm not sure if this helps, but this is what the pattern says:

Yarn Nazli Gelin Garden (100% mercerized Egyptian giza cotton; 308 yd [282 m]/1¾ oz [50 g]; ): #700-23 teal, 2 (2, 3, 3, 4, 4) balls. Yarn distributed by Universal Yarns.
Yarn Weight #1 - Super Fine

I just looked on the Universal Yarns website and they only carry one size of Nazli Gelin thread -- #10.  (Oh, dear...looking for my reading glasses NOW...)

I think you could choose to make it from the metallic thread if you wanted to, and in fact I hope someone in our CAL does, because I think it would look stunning for evening!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MizC wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 5:30 AM

I started this one a while ago and the first full motif turned out fine, but the joining rounds never seemed to have the correct number of stitches - no matter how often I checked.

I hope I get it right this time. :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,275
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 9:07 AM

This shrug uses Nazli Gelin Garden 10. The metallic thread is the same weight, and in fact, I am using the metallic thread for my shrug. I will post pictures of my first gauge motif soon.

http://www.universalyarn.com/quality_color.php?quality=185

Not Ranked
Posts 2
pbnbea wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 10:40 AM

I can hardly wait to start this beautiful little sweater!
I haven't done anything with fine thread yet, and this looks manageable because it's a small garment...thanks for choosing it!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Mar 26, 2011 3:39 PM

where can I get the pattern?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
KnitMama247 wrote
on Mar 27, 2011 11:16 AM

The pattern is in the Interweave Crochet Summer 2010 magazine, or is available for instant download here.  :) 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lisa22667 wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 8:58 AM

I have never done a CAL- Confused

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,275
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 11:37 AM

Then you should join us Lisa! Joining Crochet me crochet-alongs is easy. Simply gather your pattern and yarn (or thread in this case) and  crochet along with us. If you have questions or tips or just a comment post it on the forum. You can upload pictures to the galleries, and I'll be posting tips as I go as well. I have four motifs completed and I love this pattern.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Jenndar wrote
on Mar 30, 2011 11:31 PM

Are there any Canucks out there that have found Nazli Gelin or a decent substitute? I can't find a local store that carries it, and everyone online naturally charges a million dollars shipping to my obviously-on-the-other-side-of-the-galaxy-from-the-US country :[

Page 1 of 5 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS