Official Moth Wings Shrug Crochet-Along

This post has 72 Replies | 20 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,323
Toni Rexroat wrote
on May 18, 2011 2:11 PM

For the first square of the sleeve you work the first 2 chain 3, the first chain 5, and the next 2 chain 3. Then you chain one and slip stitch in the 4th chain 3 space of the underarm motif. This is the unworked motif from the base row. You continue working around the working motif, joining it to the back or front as you go. When you work the last motif of the sleeve, you will work half of one side into the remaining half of the underarm motif, then join the unjoined half of the both the first and last motifs together.

Does that make sense?

I had to tear my first motif out a couple of time before my head completely wrapped around the constructions.

Toni

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
skyppr84 wrote
on May 19, 2011 5:07 PM

I feel like I have the first one in correctly, but I'm starting to get frustrated with these instructions. I feel like something was omitted to make them as short as possible, but it leaves clarity in the wind...

I am making the 41" version of this pattern.

In the "Shrug" section, it states to follow the chart and that I would join 70 full motifs and 2 triangle motifs. When I look at the last page for my chart, I only count 56 indicated motifs. I'd like to think the remaining 14 are coming from somewhere else...

Then I look at the "Sleeves" section, and it states that I will join 8 squares into each armhole. When I look at my progress, I only see space for 6 motifs, 4 full and 2 modified.

I'm starting to get a little bit frustrated, because no matter how many times I read through this pattern, it just doesn't seem to explain enough. I generally don't get out of work early enough to take this down to a yarn store to see if I can get some help with the pattern. I'd really love to be able to wear it soon, because it's getting really hot in Florida really early.

*EDIT* When I look at the layout on the back page, it seems to be missing an entire row. If that's the case, then I reach the 70 indicated motifs and the armhole has room for 8 motifs instead of 6. I wish I had seen this before joining the front/back...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,323
Toni Rexroat wrote
on May 19, 2011 9:00 PM

Hi Skyppr84. Yes, the larger diagram is missing an entire row across the top. This means adding motifs to both the fronts and back. I will post corrections on here and request that they be posted on the errata page. Thank you!

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 2
susamy wrote
on May 25, 2011 10:29 AM

I too am having trouble "getting my head around" the sleeve directions.  Could you please send pictures of how you did the sleeves as you did with joining the motifs.  Those pictures were very helpful.  It is hard to understand by just the pictures on the model.

On the sleeves directions, I am confused by the Rnd 4 at the end.  After the (ch 3, sc in next ch-3 sp) 2 times.... instead of join with sl st to first sc, sl st in first sc to join....should it be

... )2 times, ch 3, sl st in first sc to join???

The directions, as written, look like you are joining twice and omitting a ch 3.

I am using a different metallic thread and my gauge is very different from the directions.  I am making my shrug to wear with my dress for my daughter's wedding in October.  I am pleased with the pattern as , even though my gauge is different, it has been easy to modify the number of blocks to make it fit with the dress I plan to wear.  My older daughter and I are both making the shrug.  Although we live in different places, it has been fun to make this project "together".  

Thank you.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
susamy wrote
on May 25, 2011 10:30 AM

Have you posted the corrections and where can we find them?  What is the "errata page?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,323
Toni Rexroat wrote
on May 25, 2011 11:24 AM

You can find errata either on the errata page at Interweave Crochet or find errata for the crochet-along projects on the crochet-along page.

I have taken detail pictures of the sleeve and will post them with more detailed instructions as soon as I can get them written up.

Best wishes,

Toni

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,323
Toni Rexroat wrote
on May 27, 2011 1:36 PM

Hi Susamy,

I hope this post helps. I had already finished the sleeve, so I couldn't take in-progress shots. Click on the photos below for bigger images.

I have finished the Moth Wings Shrug, and I love the lacy look and join as you go construction. The sleeves in particular are cleverly constructed. But I will admit it took me several minutes of pondering and tearing out my first attempt to join the first sleeve motif followed by several more minutes of pondering to truly grasp this clever construction.

On the last row of first full motif of the sleeve, you do not join on the first corner. Work the first corner as for the full motif and then work the next 2 ch-3 spaces. Now you will begin joining the working motif to the underarm motif.

The first motif you will be joining to (your adjoining motif) is the unworked motif from the base row. Chain one and slip stitch in the 4th chain-3 space of that underarm motif. This will be the chain space just off of the center of the motif. Continue joining as normal through the chain-5 space and up the first motif vertically up the armhole. Then work the rest of the Round 4 around the working motif. You will notice that only half of the working motif is joined to the underarm motif.

Continue joining the motifs around the armhole to the last motif to be joined. Join this motif vertically to the last vertical motif of the armhole, then continue joining to base/armhole motif. You will only join halfway across this motif (the other half is joined to your first motif). To join the rest of the unworked side of the working motif, begin joining in the unjoined half of the first motif worked for the sleeve.

When you are finished the underarm/base motif will have two different motfs joined to its top, and those two motifs will also be joined to each other.

I hope this help you visualize the join, and let me know if you have any more questions. It has been marvelous crocheting with you. I think I am starting a second shrug for myself. What have you thought of this shrug?

Best wishes,

Not Ranked
Posts 5
gillian3719 wrote
on Jun 12, 2011 11:06 AM

Thanks Toni!  This post has been really helpful as I've started the sleeves.  I'm so excited to finish this shrug!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,323
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jun 13, 2011 11:49 AM

I'm glad the photos helped! I have loved this shrug so much that I am starting on a second one for myself. this one is in a beautiful deep blue. I'm so excited for it! This makes such a great travel project.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jotalbot wrote
on Jun 14, 2011 10:39 PM

I am thinking about starting this project to wear to a friend's wedding, and I was excited to see it was a CAL so I could get some help.  My problem is, so far I have avoided doing many tops, because I don't ever know what size to pick.  I'm a very small girl with exceptionally broad shoulders, so where I would be a small/X-small most everywhere on my body, I'm more like a large in the shoulders.  Any tips on what I could do to compensate?  I'm pretty good at following a pattern, but when it comes to adjusting things I get scared.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,323
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jun 15, 2011 10:58 AM

Hi,

This should actually be a great project for you then. Because this shrug does not go completely around your bust, you should just be able to measure the distance across your shoulders to find the best fit. You can see in the image where the shrug fits on the model–don't count the last motif as this is the sleeve. Have someone measure that distance on you. Then comes a little math. Pick the size that is closets to your bust measurement; for me that would be 36". According to the diagram there are 6 motifs across the back of the size 36" and 2 motifs are 4 3/4" across; so that makes the back 14 1/4" across. There will be a bit of guessing with this method, but it should get you a good fit for your shoulders.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 1
krcollins wrote
on May 13, 2013 7:52 AM

Is the Moth Wings Shrug pattern available for purchase?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,323
Toni Rexroat wrote
on May 13, 2013 9:29 AM

Yes, you can purchase this pattern in the Crochet Me Shop. I made this shrug for a friends wedding, and she loved it! Enjoy! The shop is undergoing some big improvements today; let me know if you have any trouble.

Page 5 of 5 (73 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5 | RSS