Sprout Chains Shawlette HELP!

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
dearose wrote
on Mar 24, 2011 10:52 PM

Hi, i just picked up the pattern for the Sprout Chains Shawlette a few days ago. I got my Crochet So Fine book several months ago and absolutely LOVE it! I'm going to Italy in May and am currently using the trip as an excuse to make a very nice cover-up for those churchy-tourist attractions (no paper shirts for me!..plus i need to bring me back a nice Italian boy ;) ).

Anywho: i'm a little weary on the sides of the shawl. Are they supposed to be a little tight? I've tried to strech them out a little to see if it might work when i block it, but it seems so awefully taught, i'm questioning if blocking would even help it? Did anyone else run into this problem? I'm currently on the end of the 3rd rep.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 424
Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 9:40 AM

Hi dearose,
Hmmm. I didn't have a problem with taut sides on the two shawls I made. The chain portion does open out when you block it. What yarn are you using? That might make a difference.

If you can post a picture, that would be helpful in seeing what the problem is.

I'd love to help you solve this!
Marcy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
dearose wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 3:02 PM

Hi Marcy!

I was hoping you'd answer to my question. I had read some of your posts on the ones you've done, and didn't find anything that could help me. I took some pictures, but they're not very good, because they're from my phone. But I hope it helps to show it a little bit. I also put it next to my crochet hook (Boye size E) and a half-dollar for size reference. Just kinda look so see if the general shape of the sides kind of looks what you were going through. Right now I'm up to the end of the 4th rep (I got a little further :) ). It's been one heck of a time trying to get these pictures on here! haha.

Thanks so much for responding! You guys with Interweave are so nice and helpful :] I've had great help from the Spin-Off forums too!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
dearose wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 3:05 PM

Oh, and i almost forgot: the yarn i'm using was just something i got off of ebay from china. So i really couldn't tell you the brand, because it's all in chinese!! It's a very silky kind of mixed yarn, and supposidly it's bamboo/silk (but really, who knows?).

Edit: and obviously it's a fingering weight, but it's a little bulky on the skinnier-end of DK weight (which is what the pattern calls for).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 424
Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 25, 2011 3:11 PM

The pictures are helpful. I can see how it's taut on the sides. Are you doing a chain 1 before that sc at the beginning of the row? If so, try doing a chain 2 & see it it loosens up. Do a couple of test rows to see if you like the effect, then you might want to go back and start over. You'll be happier in the end.

The bamboo/silk should work well, as the bamboo will stretch some over time.

Let me know how it goes!

Marcy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
dearose wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 10:05 AM

Thanks so much for your response, Marcy! I have been doing a chain 1 at the beginning, but I am rather nutorious for pulling the yarn when I shouldn't (must be the way I hold my project. I taught myself, so I probably have some nasty habits I'm not aware of).

I'll give it a go this weekend and post to let you know how it works out!

Deanna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
dearose wrote
on Mar 30, 2011 4:29 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back to posting. I tried doing a chain 2, and found it didn't help very much, seeing as there's a sc right after it, and a dc wouldn't make much sense in the pattern. So I went with a size bigger hook, and have found that it helps a lot more with the size. I havn't finished it yet, but I can tell it's going to be nice! I'll post it in the projects forum whenever I'm done with it.

By the way: you said that you had an issue with not enough yarn at the end of your second one. Have you finished the trim? I was thinking of doing a beaded trim, and was going to start looking at reference pictures.

Deanna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 424
Marcy Smith wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 2:07 PM

Hi Deanna,

I'm glad the larger hook is working!
Yes, I finally finished the second shawlette -- I'll blog about my solution next week. It involves beads!

Best,

Marcy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
aura666 wrote
on Feb 9, 2012 7:57 AM

hello there is there any way to show me how to make the start of it because every time i attempt the sprout chain shawlette it never works, its all over the place and even though i follow the pattern it dose not look the same PLEASE HELP ME ! thank you Amey.Hickin@hotmail.co.uk

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS