How to crochet a border around a place mat

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 26, 2011 9:48 PM

Hi,

I am very new to crocheting.  Very new!  I have a very long way to go in continuing to learn but I so want to learn to crochet because it is such good emotional therapy for me in dealing with having had cancer.

I made a place mat using just the single crochet stitch.  I would like to learn to put a border around the place mat in a different color.  I have a hard time learning things and I am asking for your help - if you could please - to tell me how to put a border around my place mat.  I don't know where to start the border or how to create it.  If you know of any YouTube videos - where there are visual instructions - that is how I learn best.

Any help is very, very much appreciated!

And thank you for your time.

Cancersurvivor

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Laela wrote
on Mar 28, 2011 9:47 PM

Try http:www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMNcCDzVoao .  She is using a single crochet stitch to make a border in a different color.  Good luck!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
jroberts123 wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 12:12 AM

After 30 years away from the craft, I began to crochet again about 18 months ago in an effort to quit smoking.  I know how therapuetic crochet can be.  I consider myself a beginner too and have watched a ton of videos on YouTube.  Once you see one that was helpful, keep the link in your favorites.  The YouTube video that the other member suggested is great and the tutor, Teresa, has several other videos when you get ready to try new stitches.  Several of the yarn companies have a stitch library online and videos too.  I use the Lion Brand library most often because some of the instructions are in chart format, which seems to be easier for me to follow when a video is not available.  If you see an edging you want to try, you can enter the name on Youtube and you will surely get several to choose from.  I encourage you to see if you have any of the crochet shows available to you in your area.  Knit and Crochet Today, Knitting Daily, Uncommon Threads are a few that showcase different crochet techniques.  There is a changing color video on this website in the Crochet Techniques under the Videos tab.  I like changing color this way because it looks so seamless.  Just remember to add stitches (increase) in the corners - most patterns for a single crochet trim will suggest 3 single crochet in one chain for the turn.  For me the hardest part still is finishing off and weaving in the ends.  Somehow my ends come back out after washing.  Anyway, I wish you luck.  Would love to see a picture posted when you are done.

Bless you,

JR123

Not Ranked
Posts 3
sugismimi wrote
on Apr 4, 2011 8:54 AM

I was wondering if you used a pattern for ur placemat? If so didnt it have a border with instructions?

J was correct in saying at the corner increase your stitches so it will make a corner!!

The hardest part for me is always the row ends and making thme consistant and even.

And Good for you and your victory over Cancer.... dealing with an illness can be so draining and to take the time to create during that must be a huge stress reliever.....

ya know the best way to create is to sample and play..... once you attach the yarn to a corner or just past the corner, go wild and try all different stitches, don't follow anything but your heart and instincts.

don't like it rip it out and try again, oh what fun!!!!!

oh yeah when your done write it down and share!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
flashie wrote
on Apr 5, 2011 9:55 AM

Don't want to sound silly, but any men other than me that find this sort of thing theraputic and even enjoyable????

:)

Love life, Live life, and work for yourself. Like me! - KD

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS