The Official Dahlia Shawl Crochet-along

This post has 43 Replies | 15 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,112
Toni Rexroat wrote
on May 24, 2011 4:19 PM

Join our resident shawl lover, Sarah Read, as she begins the Dahlia Shawl crochet-along. The Dahlia Shawl was published in the Interweave Crochet Spring 2011 issue and includes stitch diagrams for  both the shawl body and edging. This shawl calls for Manos del Uruguay Lace yarn. A luxurious blend of baby alpaca, silk, and cashmere, this Manos yarn is a pleasure to work with and wear.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 127
Sarah Read wrote
on May 26, 2011 9:23 AM

Crochet lace shawl . Well, I think I've dabbled enough in other projects for a while. It's time to get back to shawls! I've been frantically finishing up my WIPs for the last few months, all the while glancing at the Dahlia Shawl pattern from Interweave Crochet Spring 2011, not allowing myself to start until XYZ were finished (well...more like TUVWXYZ, but who's counting), and at last the time is at hand! I'm downright giddy to get started.
crochet lace shawl

Here's what I'm thinking for a schedule:

May 25th - June 6th: Get pattern and yarn.
June 7th - June 17th: Work first repeat.
June 18th - July 15th: Complete repeats.
July 16th - July 29th: Work edging.
July 30th - July 31st: Block.

The info you need to get started:

Dahlia Shawl
Designer: Lisa Naskrent
Finished Size: 70" wide and 35" tall. 
Yarn: Manos del Uruguay Lace (70% baby alpaca, 25% silk, 5% cashmere; 439 yd [401 m]/1¾ oz [50 g]): L2103 rosetta pink, 3 hanks. Yarn distributed by Fairmount Fibers.
Hook: Size G/6 (4.25 mm). Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions: Yarn needle; st marker (m). 
Gauge: Rows 1–5 = about 4¼" wide (from corner to corner), 2" tall (from marked middle straight down to Row 1), 3" along side of triangle (from middle point to corner), unblocked.
crochet lace shawl

If you need a copy of the pattern, you can get a copy of the magazine here.

I'm staring at the 20 gallon bin of lace weight yarn I have in my storage room, and feeling a slight twinge of guilt at the thought of ordering more just for this project, but the Manos del Uruguay Lace has utterly seduced me. If I try to resist, I'll probably just end up ordering it in my sleep. But the great part about these Lisa Naskrent shawls is that they are easily adapted to different sizes, so I may have to make a smaller version as well, as a gift for a friend. I can stash dive for that smaller one, and appease the Stash Gremlins.

So let's start planning and chatting! Join me in the forums and we can get started!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Trixie98023 wrote
on May 26, 2011 12:00 PM

I have never joined a CAL before, so I am excited to see how it goes.  I have the ayrn and pattern ready!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 127
Sarah Read wrote
on May 27, 2011 9:56 AM

Awesome!

I ordered my yarn! I picked Nixie. I'm excited to see what a variegated yarn will do in the pattern!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on May 27, 2011 10:42 AM

You can count me in!  The yarn you picked is beautiful. I can't wait to see how it looks worked up, too.  :)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jlbuckman2 wrote
on May 27, 2011 8:15 PM

Your yarn is lovely; I'm looking forward to seeing how the variegated turns out as well.

I've decided to try this Crochet Along because I fell in love with the photo of the shawl.  It's my first crochet along, my first item that isn't a doily, scarf, baby blanket or afghan, and my first time using lace weight yarn.  Lots of firsts with one project, awesome.

I've purchased the magazine with the pattern in it (and found a few other really cool articles in there too) - tomorrow I plan to make a trip to a yarn store in town.  The big, general craft-type stores (Michaels, A.C. Moore, Joann) didn't have much of a selection of lace weight yarn.  It should be interesting - I have a tendency to overspend on yarn when I already have so much at home.

I'm excited to see what it's like to work with a group on the same project, especially one as lovely as this.  The blocking part worries me a bit, I've never been skilled at blocking.  No time like the present to learn, though!  Let the fun begin.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Jo Karen wrote
on May 31, 2011 5:27 PM

I love the pattern and hope to keep up with the CAL.   Last year I started a CAL for another shawl, but it got set aside for holiday and commissioned projects and frankly I wasn't that thrilled how the yarn worked into the pattern  Sad.  I HOPE that I will actually finish - and like - this one. Geeked

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 127
Sarah Read wrote
on Jun 1, 2011 10:34 AM

I couldn't wait to get started on this pattern, so I went ahead and started the stash-busting mini version already! I'll get some pics up and on my blog in the next few days. I looooove the pattern already!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
pat p. wrote
on Jun 1, 2011 2:40 PM

Sarah I believe you and I are kindred spirits! I make the same deals and rationalizations with the  Stash Hobbits and I am also utterly powerless to resist a great ball of yarn! If the texture and feel don't get me a glorious color will. No guilt my friend, we will have none of that! You said so yourself that you have a gift to make coming up and we all know that the materials must match the needs and desires of  the recipient. This shawl is so lovely that I just have to make one too. And after I get a copy of the magazine I will also be buying some yummy yarn to make it in. No deals this time - I'm taking a stand!!! Let the Hobbits fret.....

Not Ranked
Posts 4
connieocd wrote
on Jun 4, 2011 5:51 AM

I just found this yesterday after I read about it in my new edition of Interweave, so I am late joining up. Just ordered my yarn. I'm going to use the new Luna color. It is varigated with shades of red. I'm excited!

!manos del uruguay lace weight 6422 luna 24137 p.asp

Not Ranked
Posts 1
n200057 wrote
on Jun 4, 2011 7:45 PM

I have the the yarn...do you do this CAL with diagram stitches...I really have a hard time with the Abv. versions of projects...

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jun 5, 2011 12:09 AM

I am in.  just tell me the yarns,

Misha lewan'

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 127
Sarah Read wrote
on Jun 6, 2011 2:36 PM

My yarn arrived!!!! It is gorgeous! I had to carry it to the end of the hall to wind it, and it got petted at every office along the way.

It's just in time, too, as I started the edging for the first one! I've scheduled a photo-heavy blog post for Wednesday. Maybe, if I lock myself in my yarn lair for the next two evenings, I can even get some blocking pictures! Does anyone want to come babysit so I can crochet? Haha.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 7, 2011 10:10 AM

I'm joining a bit late. Just ordered my yarn today and hope to have it by the end of the week.  This will be my first CAL.  Looking forward to it!Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Jun 7, 2011 1:03 PM

Sarah, your pic in the gallery looks so much better than mine.  I' uploading my yarn and first 5 rows.  It's also only 3" across with a G hook.  Knit Picks Shadow, Heathered Lace Weight.

If you don't challenge yourself, you don't grow.

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS