Blankets for Joplin...

This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
KellyA@2 wrote
on Jun 9, 2011 8:36 AM

Hello. My name is Kelly and I have recently created a group - The Heart in Hand Project and hope you will join.

This project has been brewing in my heart for a very long time. I hope you will join us now as we embark on this new adventure. Grow with us and help shape this project into something caring, worthwhile, and fruitful. It will not happen without you.

The Heart in Hand Project has been born out of my desire to show compassion and provide comfort to others - to do some one thing when I felt helpless to do anything at all. Many of you may have shared charity creating experiences like mine as we knit for Newborns in Need, crochet chemo caps for cancer patients, or created a prayer shawl for a dear friend. My girls and I enjoy hooking scarves for the Special Olympics Scarf Project and making gifts for one another.

I am not sure where this project will go, or how it will look in a year from now, but I do know it needs to start somewhere. This is that somewhere. As you watch this site grow, do not hesitate to leave a comment with a suggestion, or e-mail us directly. This is a project based on community of needle artists and the project should reflect that community.

My vision, to begin with, is to promote all charitable hand works while focusing on one project at a time. Our first project will be making comfort blankets for the victims of this spring’s tornado outbreak here in the U.S. These blankets will be made up of knit and crochet squares. You can find the guidelines by clicking here, or the Guidelines tab at the top of this page.

Each month, I will feature a free block pattern. You are not required to make this pattern, but are welcome to. This will be for inspiration. I also hope to offer giveaways to motivate us to work a little harder to get the blocks in. Giveaways always make a project more fun.

What else can you do? Well, we will need to distribute the finished blankets and will need monies to cover shipping. We will also need yarn to put the squares together into blankets. If you would like to donate yarn for squares you can do so and we will send yarn to those who want to knit and crochet, but can’t afford materials.

I realize there are many more details to iron out, but will take it a day at a time and we can grow the project together. I have begun to tell our personal spring story, that motivated me to create this project now, on my personal blog (un)Deniably Domestic.

With heart,

Kelly

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jun 14, 2011 10:49 AM

Dear Kelly,

Please include me in your lovely gesture towards the people that are still suffering  from this Spring's tornadoes.  I have given money to the Red Cross and donated clothing but I forgot about my crocheting.  I'd love to be a part of such a great idea!  Also, there are quite a few yarn sales going on in my area.  I can buy $10 worth of yarn and that will give us 10 big skeins I can mail to some fellow knitters/crocheters.  I'd be happy to do that and make a whole bunch of squares to donate.

Please contact me when you have a moment.  I can be reached at mrs.swann1989@yahoo.com.

Thank you and God bless,

Margaret

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 20, 2011 7:12 PM

Dear Kelly , what size squares do you need?  My home town is Joplin. Carol @csaccane@flash.net

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 20, 2011 7:12 PM

Dear Kelly , what size squares do you need?  My home town is Joplin. Carol @csaccane@flash.net

Not Ranked
Posts 3
bonaire wrote
on Jun 23, 2011 12:25 PM

Hi Kelly - I have extra yarn that I would be happy to send to you.  Please let me know how to get this to you.  Thank you.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
KellyA@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2011 8:29 AM

Carol,

I hope this message gets to you as I was not able to get your e-mail addy to work.

Carol,

Thank you for your inquiry.  First of all, I am ever so sorry that it has taken me a whole month to get back to you.  The e-mail announcing your post was filtered, for whatever reason, into my spam folder which I only check about once a month and only if I can spare the time.  So, this morning, I found your sweet offer and post.  I hope you will forgive me.

We would love, love, love your help.  Crochet squares are great,  Here are the guidelines:

http://heartinhandproject.blogspot.com/p/guidelines.html

Again, your generosity is heart warming.

With heart,

Kelly

POST - Dear Kelly , what size squares do you need?  My home town is Joplin. Carol @csaccane@flash.net

Not Ranked
Posts 3
KellyA@2 wrote
on Jul 1, 2011 8:31 AM

That would be great!  Thank you so much!

You can get a mailing address by e-mailing me personally at heartinhandproject@gmail.com.

Your yarn will be used in one of two ways.  I will either use it to connect squares or will distribute to those who can not afford yarn but want to contribute blocks.  We have a couple of schools groups that will need yarn.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Kelly

<a href='http://www.deniablydomestic.blogspot.com'>unDeniably Domestic</a>

<a href='http://heartinhandproject.blogspot.com'>The Heart in Hand Project</a>

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS