Hi!

This post has 13 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
BevCrocKnit wrote
on Jun 30, 2011 11:31 AM

I've recently learned how to knit & crochet by watching DVD how-to's. I long to have someone sit beside me & help me with the many things I'm stuck on ~ how to read a crochet pattern. How to crochet the second row (seem to have no problem crocheting the first row!), what to do about the crooked edges I always seem to make, how to fix knitting mistakes, how to do increases & decreases, etc. My list goes on & on! DVD learning can only accomplish so much! Having said all that, so far I am loving my newest hobby & hope to get good enough to make items for friends, family & charity. I love the feel of yarn and so far have a pretty good stash of it in the extra bedroom. I also like to scrapbook, read, travel & I've written a few (didn't come out so good) novels. I'm married almost 28 years, have two grown kids & one grandbaby. I live in California.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 68
JoM wrote
on Jun 30, 2011 10:26 PM

Your post struck a cord in my heart. I'd love to have a crochet buddy too! I'm not an expert, but I've been crocheting for almost 28 years. 2 friends taught me the basics on the eve of my 30th birthday, and I picked up the rest myself. If you get stumped with something, send me a post, and I'll try to help you out. If I don't have the answer, I've got a lot of reference books. I don't get on the Internet everynight, so don't be disheartened if I don't answer right away.This is the time of day I'm usually on, when I am. Crochet is my stress reliever, my depression chaser,my boredom controller.

You win in the marriage department! 8~) I've been married to my best buddy 23 years this coming October. We have 2 grown daughters- 1 in California with 2 little girls, and one here in Nebraska with a little boy.Grandkids are such daybrighteners!

I would love to hear from you!

JoM

Not Ranked
Posts 8
BevCrocKnit wrote
on Jul 1, 2011 5:47 PM

Wow, that's awesome that you've been crocheting for so long! I know what you mean about it being a stress reliever, etc., etc. I can feel myself relax as I crochet (except when I'm totally stuck ~ then I feel frustrated!!)Super Angry But I hope to get better at this thing cause I'm not giving it up!

Where abouts in CA does your daughter live? I'm on the Central Coast of CA ~ near Monterey. Beautiful place to live, even if it is earthquake country!

Thanks for your offer of help with patterns, etc. I will probably end up taking you up on that!

Have a great 4th of July weekend!

Beverly

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 68
JoM wrote
on Jul 1, 2011 10:58 PM

Tell me about the getting stuck! When I was trying to design a hat my daughter wanted for her youngest, I thought I was going to go crazy! Stitch, stitch, stitch, rip, rip, rip... I'll take a tried and true pattern any day, rather than designing my own! Don't give up! The more you do, the better you'll get, like anything.

My daughter lives by the Bay, near Palo Alto. She used to live in Sunnyvale. Her inlaws live in Seaside. I LOVE Monterey, and that whole area. It is so pretty and relaxed out there. Are you a native to California?

Any questions, ask away! Like I said, I have lots of reference books, because I like to keep perfecting my crochet!

You have a great 4th as well! Have fun, but stay safe!

Jodie

Not Ranked
Posts 8
BevCrocKnit wrote
on Jul 4, 2011 11:57 AM

Your daughter doesn't live too far from me and her inlaws live real close! Yes, I'm born & raised California. I lived in other states (Idaho, Nevada & Arizona) briefly, but always ended up back in California. The bad thing about California is that it's over-crowded, which is why we're staying home for the 4th. Don't feel like fighting the mass of people out there.

Thanks for your offer of help with crocheting. I'm sure I'll take you up on that!

Take care, Beverly

Not Ranked
Posts 8
BevCrocKnit wrote
on Jul 6, 2011 8:26 PM

Ok, so I'm taking you up on your offer of help. I'm stuck! Here's the pattern I'm attempting to follow. It's for a lap throw. Row 1 reads as follows:

in 4th chain from hook, work (1dc, ch2, 1dc) in same chain, *skip 2 chains (2dc, ch2,1sc) in next chain*, repeat from * to* across, ending (2dc, ch2, 1sc) in last chain. Ch2, turn

Row 2: work (1dc, ch2, 1sc) in first chain-space. *(2dc, ch2, 1sc) in next ch. sp. *repeat from * to* across. Ch. 2, turn

I'm stuck on row 2 (I seem to always get stuck there!) I'm not sure where the chain-space is!  How can I tell? I don't want to poke my crochet hook into any old hole!! Any suggestions?

Thanks, Beverly

Not Ranked
Posts 3
asdre1 wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 12:24 PM

I am in that same boat and that is how I got so discouraged. I ve started & stopped for 40 yrs .  I finaaly have a neighbor friend ,she was an act. director at a nursing home,before retiring.  She says go to Joanns or michaels inquire there about local knitting & cro clubs in ur area.  I feel I'm on a roll as of right now.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 68
JoM wrote
on Jul 13, 2011 10:21 PM

I posted back to you last week, but I don't know if you received it or not. It never showed up that I had sent it, and I didn't realize it until now. The chain-space is the opening created  by the "ch2" in the previous row. You just crochet into the space. It sounds like it creates a sort of tipped shell pattern? Let me know if this helps. really sorry it took so long to get back to you. We had a wedding in the family, and then we were on vacation.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
BevCrocKnit wrote
on Jul 14, 2011 1:18 PM

Thanks for your input ~ I will try our local Michaels! Have fun with your crocheting.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
BevCrocKnit wrote
on Jul 14, 2011 1:20 PM

Hmmm, no, didn't receive an earlier post, but glad to get this one! Hope you had a nice vacation & the wedding went well.

I will try again to find that ch2 space; not sure why it's so hard to find! All the spaces look the same to me!

Take care!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 68
JoM wrote
on Jul 15, 2011 11:07 PM

You won't be crocheting INTO a stitch. in the first row, You do a double, a double, chain 2, then 1 single. The chain 2 creates a 'looser' open space, like an opening in the fabric. Every 'set' of stitches is worked in the previous row's spaces created by the chain 2s.  What I do when i can't figure out where to put a stitch is to mark the space where the stitch will go, until you have the pattern figured out. In this case, when you do the first row, db, db, ch2, sc, THEN  put a safety pin right behind the sc you just made, in front of the 2 dbs. That's where the opening will be.

It sounds like there might be a mistake in row of the pattern. The first set calls for 2 db, ch2, 1db. The rest call for the last stitch of the set to be a sc.Let me know if this still doesn't make sense. I'll stitch a swatch, and take a picture of it if you need me to.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sarajenkin wrote
on Oct 8, 2011 5:33 AM

Hi,pls suggest me how can reach Thekkady from Munnar. Is there any direct bus direct from Munnar to Thekkady How much is the distance? I am planning to spend one day in Thekkady.
Ripped Muscle X

Not Ranked
Posts 2
raone32 wrote
on Oct 15, 2011 7:02 AM

My list goes on & on! DVD learning can only accomplish so much! Having said all that, so far I am loving my newest hobby & hope to get good enough to make items for friends, family & charity

metal roofing

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jonny2 wrote
on Nov 30, 2011 10:19 AM

Thanks.... :)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS