The Official Petal Pullover Crochet-Along

This post has 75 Replies | 19 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,090
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 8:57 AM

Last week the temperature in my house reached a sweltering 85 degrees. As I looked from my thermometer to my latest wool crochet project, I realized two things. First, I need a new air conditioner, and second, I need to start a new summer project. So I pulled out my Interweave Crochet Spring and Summer back issues.

Lace, to my mind, is the perfect summer project.I have always been drawn to the delicacy crocheted lace. Often worked in a fine yarn or thread, crocheted lace is the perfect showcase for the delicate and intricate stitches of crochet. And it was the lace that first drew me to Robyn Chachula's Petal Pullover from the Interweave Crochet Spring 2011 issue. This all-over lace pullover is perfect for a pair of jeans or a skirt and can be worn over a t-shirt, cami, or long-sleeve top when the weather cools this fall. It's so ingeniusly versatile!

The body is worked in the round from the bottom up to the armholes, which means less seaming, and there are stitch diagrams-a big plus for visual crocheters like myself. I especially love the stitch diagrams illustrating the armhole and neck shaping as I would like to raise the neckline in the front by about three-quarters of an inch or 2 rows.

As we all know, the hardest part of crocheting a garment is not allowing it to become a WIP (work-in-progress), and I have heard several of you comment just how much you also love this top. So I am proposing a crochet-along. I loved working with you on the Moth Wings Shrug, and am looking forward to answering your questions and learning new tips and tricks from you as well.

I'll be using the recommended Louet MerLin Sport for my project. This yarn is 60% linen and 40% merino. The linen provides beautiful stitch definition and drape to the lace and the merino provides just the right amount of memory and elasticity. This combination also keeps the finished garment from being too heavy, as would happen with other common summer yarns such as those made with cotton or bamboo.

Here is the supply list and schedule for this crochet-along:

Petal Pullover

Designer: Robyn Chachula
Finished Size: 32 (34½, 37½, 40, 42½, 45½)" circumference to fit 32 (34, 36½, 39, 41¼, 44)" bust circumference. Garment shown measures 34½". Pullover is close fit with 0-1½" of ease.
Yarn: Louet MerLin Sport (60% linen, 40% merino; 250 yd [229 m]/3½ oz [100 g]): #48 aqua, 4 (4, 5, 5, 6, 6) hanks.Hook: Size G/6 (4 mm) Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions: Blocking pins, spray bottle, stitch markers (m), yarn needle.
Gauge:
3 shells and 12 rows = 4" in pistachio shell st patt.

CAL Schedule

July 4th - 17th Order yarn and pattern and get gauge.
July 18th - July 24th Work in the round to "Shape right back".
July 25th - August 7th Finish back.
August 8th - August 21st Finish front.
August 22th - August 27th Sleeves
August 28th - September 19th Seaming and finishing.

For a limited time you can even find the Interweave Crochet Spring 2011 issue (with the Petal Pullover and 24 other great spring designs) as well as other back issues on sale at the Crochet Me Shop. So pick up your copy of Interweave Crochet Spring 2011 today and join us for the Petal Pullover Crochet-along.

Best wishes,

Not Ranked
Posts 1
hkscher wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 9:16 AM

Hello.

I've never done a crochet a long nor have I made something for me to wear!  I've done baby sweaters, hats, booties, fingerless gloves as well as adult hats and scarves, a few shawls and afghans/coverlets galore over the past 40+ years.

This pattern is beautiful and caught my interest.  However, I am allergic to wool and linen.  What other types of yarn would you suggest?

Thank you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,090
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 10:53 AM

From comments I've read, I understand that at least a couple of you are allergic to wool and will have to use a substitute. When looking for a different yarn pay special attention to the yarn makeup. Fibers such as cotton, silk, and bamboo are heavier, so a blend of fibers would be nice. You could try something like Knit Picks' Comfy Sport Yarn (75% cotton and 25% acrylic), though you will need to play to get gauge. The addition of acrylic to a cotton yarn helps the cotton keep its memory and keeps the lace from growing over time. I would love to hear other suggestions. We definitely want everyone to be able to join this crochet-along. :)

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 8
teril4 wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 11:38 AM

i actually just picked up enough hobby lobby sport, in a very similar pale blue, a couple of weeks ago for this same sweater :)  i was thinking since is is 100% acrylic, i would actually work smaller guage rather than "to fit", to give some room for acrylic stretch & growth.  thoughts?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
queeniehuff wrote
on Jul 5, 2011 12:15 PM

Thanks (hkscher) for your request on this matter. I too am allergic to wool & am always befuddled as to which yarn is a good substitute for anything with wool.  Although I don't have the answer...I look forward to suggestions from others & am so glad that you requested this information on behalf of all of us who do have wool allergies. It's not always an issue that you're making it for someone else & they have allergies but one cannot make a gift if one cannot work with the product.

Thanks again, Lisa

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on Jul 6, 2011 9:19 AM

I'm just wondering if anyone has worked with Louisa Harding Grace Wool & Silk? Yarn.com has some on for a great price and in the colour I would love to make this with. It's 50% Merino 50% Silk, 50g/110yd, 5.5 sts=1" on US 6. Not sure if I could get the guage right or not for this pattern. It just looks so beautiful!

Also just realized I still have a ball of Caron Spa in my stash. I think I might try a swatch using it and see how it turns out.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Brooklyne wrote
on Jul 7, 2011 11:32 AM

This will be my first Crochet Along. My partner showed interest in a similar styled sweater at Old Navy but the neck was too high, so when I saw this one I thought it'd be perfect for me. I have some lace weight merino from knit picks in black heather. I think it'd be perfect for this project. But I definitely need to buy about 3 more skeins of it. I only have 3 right now. I had planned on using that merino for another project, but the price isn't too awful that I can't just replace it with something else.

A question about the measurements: the chest measurement is across the bust? Not under? I've only done baby sweaters, so this will be the first sweater for an adult. I'm hoping it'll turn out okay.

Hedgehog & Rabbit

Handmade Handbound Journals and Hand-Dyed Cotton Thread

Not Ranked
Posts 1
shmopi wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 6:17 AM

i have been wanting to make this and this i a good exuse,stil don't know what yarn.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
PaulaW@23 wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 11:08 AM

I really have been wanting to make this.  I chose Hempathy which doesn't have wool, it is hemp, cotton, and model.  described as:

The hemp gives terrific drape & linen-like feel, the cotton adds sensational softness, and the Modal nylon provides elasticity & snap-back shape

I chose a lilac color.  now waiting for post man......

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,090
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 11:13 AM

Hi Paula,

Hempathy sounds like an excellent substitution. My pullover is also in lilac and I can't wait to see what the two will look like. They will be an excellent comparison!

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on Jul 8, 2011 6:50 PM

Just ordered some Gloss Fingering Yarn in Sea Spray from Knit picks.  Hopefully it arrives soon so I can get started on my guage swatch.

Tested a swatch with Caron Spa, while it does feel wonderful it was not great to work with for this. I had to go down two hook sizes to get the right guage which made the fabric a little think. It is also very splitty so it would be very easy to end up with a lot of little snags as you go. Also not sure how well it would retain it's shape, it felt as though it may really stretch over time.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Robin@87 wrote
on Jul 8, 2011 9:59 PM

I ordered my yarn and am just waiting for it to arrive.  This looks like a great project.  I can't wait to get started.  Unfortunately, we'll be on vacation for a part of the Crochet Along without computer access....but I'll try to keep up.

Received my yarn today  I decided to go with exactly what you suggested,the Louet Merlin except I'll be making it in the terra cote color.  Next step, a gauge sample.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Jul 9, 2011 2:54 AM

Like many others I've never tried a crochet-along. That's mostly been because I am plus-size and the patterns are not. But since I have the pattern already, and I have yarn (Lavold "Silky Wool" 45% wool, 35% silk, 20% nylon) I can work over the next week seeing if I can do the math for a major pattern rework. We're talking a 25% increase in the bust circumfrence. That, of course, is the easy part. It is the reworking of the armscye, the sleeves, across the the back. Sometimes I size up just by using a larger yarn and bigger hook but I don't want the stitch to be mangled too much this time. 

So I shall start in a swatch and see what I can come up with! If anyone has specific tips about sizing up on a pattern like this one, I am happy to hear them.

Shelly 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jul 9, 2011 4:37 AM

I ordered my yarn and pattern. I've only crocheted afghans but this looks like a truly lovely project.

Robin

Not Ranked
Posts 2
birdlover111 wrote
on Jul 9, 2011 7:33 AM

Am ordering yarn - very excited about this project!!

Page 1 of 6 (76 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS