The Official Petal Pullover Crochet-Along

This post has 75 Replies | 19 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
teril4 wrote
on Jul 28, 2011 7:08 AM

okay, need a little help- was crocheting away last night on the 1st body section in the round, figure i'm about 1/2 way thru the "repeat rows 2-5, 7 times" (doing the 32"), looked back to the measurments & i'm right on for my diameter of 32ish", but if i look at the length, it appears that the "body" should only be about 4" long with an over all lenght of 11 3/4" long.  I'm at that lenght now- probably because my yarn is thicker.  i'm confused as to what to do next- start shaping & hope that it blocks okay? do the stated number of row repeats, which would make it longer?  any ideas?

thanks, Teril

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,217
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 28, 2011 12:29 PM

You sound like you should be fine. The entire body, the section worked in the round, measures 11 3/8". The overall length of the top is the 11 3/8" to the armhole and then an 8" armhole, so 19 3/8" in total length not including the bottom band. Your piece will grow some with blocking, but you sound like you are right where you need to be, just go ahead and work the stated number of row repeats.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
teril4 wrote
on Jul 29, 2011 12:05 PM

okay, that was a "duh" moment- i didn't think to add the two measurements together!  i feel much better now, thank you :) 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Jul 31, 2011 11:30 PM

Help! I am on "shape right-back shoulder" for size 45-1/2. Row six instructions leave me totally confused! I'm fine with ch1, 2sc, ch 2, V-st, ch1, sk 2 ch-1 sp (takes me up onto the only sh in row 5) and the (dc, ch1, sc) in the next sc where a V-st would normally go in pattern. At that point there are 10 st left on the shoulder. But...the next instruction is to sl st in the top of the tch and fasten off. What am I supposed to do with the nine stitches in between?

Shelly

shellysbags at gmail dot com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,217
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Aug 1, 2011 12:56 PM

Hi Shelly,

I diagrammed out Rows 4-6 and the number of stitches works out perfectly. I did notice though that the stitches from 2 rows below may appear to be unworked for that row. After the (dc, ch 1, sc) in next sc, you should only have a ch 1 and the turning chain left. Please let me know if this shoulder is still causing you trouble and I will try to draw a cleaner diagram for you.

Toni

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Aug 1, 2011 11:10 PM

Okay, I went back and looked at the pattern. Are we looking at the same thing?  There are 3 sh in row 1. In row 2 you go to the last sc (end of row) and turn. Row 3 you sc in the last ch1 of the previous row, which is the last stitch in the row. in In rows 4 and 5 the last instruction of each is to put a stitch in the top of the turning chain. So I cannot see where there is any reduction in the stitches at all. And I have done it three times and talked through it a couple more. And the front shoulder on that side is written the same way. ( for the 45-1/2" size).

The left side seems to work just fine.

Shelly

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,217
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Aug 2, 2011 10:39 AM

I went ahead and drew the diagram for the right-back shoulder. I hope you can read my scribbles. I can definitely see how the end of Row 6 could be confusing. I kept wanting to work into more stitches as well. I hope this helps.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,217
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Aug 2, 2011 10:42 AM

Also, if you click on the diagram image you can see a larger version.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Aug 2, 2011 2:48 PM

Thanks everso, I will work through this again. The other side was no problem at all, and that is finished up to the shoulder. I'm about to start on sleeves.

Merci beaucoup,
Shelly

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,217
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Aug 3, 2011 9:37 AM

Your top is coming along beautifully! Love the color. I am so excited to see the finished piece!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Brooklyne wrote
on Aug 3, 2011 12:22 PM

I'm so behind it isn't funny. I've got a lot going on - may be spreading myself too thin. I'm on row 12. lol

As I mentioned before I'm doing two farmers markets a week now and that seems to be the only time I have to crochet. I'm also launching a new consulting business and working on the current craft one. Nevermind taking care of a 7 month old.

I will finish this project. It's just going to be awhile.

One problem I've run into is my stitches are looser as I go on, so the hem is now smaller than the row I'm on now. Anyone else run into that problem and if you're further along, how did it turn out? Can it be fixed with blocking?

Hedgehog & Rabbit

Handmade Handbound Journals and Hand-Dyed Cotton Thread

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,217
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Aug 3, 2011 4:45 PM

I completely understand Brooklyne. I am so grateful that I have meetings at work where I can crochet. We have had a couple of long meetings, so I'm a little ahead. LOL!

My top grew slightly from the hem as well. When I work foundation stitches like foundation single crochets, the stitches are tighter. I usually go up a hook size for that row. That could have been what happened. Just make sure that your foundation row stretches enough for your hips. I'll admit, I tried my top on several times as I was working, just to make sure the drape was right. Wink

You should be able to fix some of that with blocking. When you block, stretch the top to the desired width and length.

Good luck with your new consulting business and the farmer's markets.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
kaylamew wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 6:30 AM

Wow Everyone is doing well :)  I was ahead for awhile but work got the best of me and I had to push the project on hold :(   Plus the person I'm making it for tends to come over a lot and the poor project gets shoved in a bag as quickly as possible :)   I hope to have it done before the end of the month.... *crosses fingers* 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 3:13 PM

I also used a larger hook for my foundation row - I got to about row 4 and didn't like how it was looking so tinked all of it and started with an H hook for the foundation. As I mentioned before, I'm able to use the G hood for the body because it helps me size it up just perfectly to fit my, ahem, "generous" figure :) I'm pretty sure I will have to make the bottom band longer than the pattern for a perfect line.

By the way, has anyone else noticed the error in the pattern? The finishing instructions for the bottom band say to attach the thread to the sleeve...hahaha.

I have half of one sleeve done.

Shelly

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,217
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 3:29 PM

I am getting ready to block. So excited!

I also have both sleeves done and I wanted to point out a correction for the sleeves.

Shape cap: Row 1: (RS) Sl st in next 0 (6, 6, 0, 11, 6) sts, ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk ch-2 sp, sc in next ch-1 sp, cont in pssp for 8 (8, 8, 11, 11, 11) sh, ch 1, sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk next ch-2 sp, 2 dc in next ch-1 sp, leave rem sts unworked, turn—8 (8, 8, 11, 11, 11) sh.

And Shelly, thank you for pointing out the bottom band error. I'll make sure that errata gets posted as well. And I also used a hook change for sizing control.

Toni

Page 4 of 6 (76 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next > | RSS