The Official Petal Pullover Crochet-Along

This post has 75 Replies | 19 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 3:33 PM

This did finally work. I got confused partly because I am mirroring everything (I'm left-handed). Thanks for the diagram. It's funny, the little things that can trip you up.

Shelly

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,239
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Aug 4, 2011 3:37 PM

No problem Shelly. I raised the neckline which was easy for the right-front because there was a diagram I could reference, but for the left-front I had to mirror the diagram in my head. I can't imagine doing that for everything. I'm very impressed with how well left-handed crocheters handle right-handed patterns.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
teril4 wrote
on Aug 5, 2011 11:12 AM

started my back shaping- very excited- dropped one set of repeats since i did some stretching to count rows, i think it will be just right for my short torso once i get the bottom band on.  Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Aug 8, 2011 5:06 PM

I have the sleeves done and the shoulder seams sewn. It fits me perfectly before blocking, quite nice. My size is one beyond the largest size, so I don't have stated measurements to block to.  So I am going to work the bottom band before I block it. I'm going to take the unblocked measurements and block back to those after I get it wet, but i'd rather have all of it get wet and blocked at the same time.

I own a 3'x3' set of blocking foam panels so I have something big enough to pin it to. 

First row of bottom band done.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Aug 15, 2011 1:47 PM

I have the bottom and neckline bands done and the sleeve seams finished. Now working on the sleeve bands before I set them in.

This used a lot less yarn than I thought it would. I had 50g skeins so I doubled the amount needed in 100g skeins. I think when all is said and done I will only have used 40% more, not 100% more. Interesting. Oh well, I like the yarn and it would make some nice fingerless gloves, I think.

Shelly

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,239
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Aug 30, 2011 3:00 PM

I only have a few rows left on the collar edging, and I will be done! I can't wait to wear this top for the first time!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Sep 4, 2011 5:27 PM

Mine is all done and on the blocking board:

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Sep 21, 2011 10:03 PM

I just started the bottom edging. I'm making for my daughter, so when I'm done I'll send a picture of it on her.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 14
Nickiie wrote
on Oct 13, 2011 6:15 AM

I've finally finished mine Big Smile 

I love it, I'm so pleased that it looks just like the picture in the pattern.  

This is now one of my favourite tops, its so versatile and comfy.  

I get lots of comments on it and people are very impressed when I tell them I made it Smile

Nicki @ Nicki's Yarn

Not Ranked
Posts 8
teril4 wrote
on Oct 13, 2011 6:31 AM

I forgot to post that I finished my pullover! It's been done about a month now, love it!  Thinking I may do it again, in the proper size yarn & a different color (mine is the same baby blue).   Thanks for all the support & question answering- couldn't have finished this otherwise :)

Happy crocheting,

Teril

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,239
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 13, 2011 10:38 AM

Your petal pullover looks fabulous Nickiie! I love the blue.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
kaylamew wrote
on Nov 14, 2011 10:48 PM

ack it is GORGEOUS!  How fun!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
shellysbags wrote
on Nov 15, 2011 12:31 AM

Nickiie, it looks great!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Jodiebodie wrote
on Dec 27, 2011 7:01 AM

Well, talk about late!  Unfortunately the plans of my friend and I were interrupted by all sorts of things. By November we were able to start swatching at last!

We each got stuck into the project and after 6 rnds and 16 rnds respectively, we decided to try on the tops. My friend's tension matched the gauge perfectly but my tension became slightly looser after the first 4 rnds but the gauge seemed okay. We discovered that the top was looser than anticipated.  Perhaps it was the 100% merino make-up of the yarn which has a lot of stretch. 

I have a petite figure and would like a little more shaping in the waist so I decided to unpull the whole lot and start again with a shorter foundation rnd to make only 20 shells instead of 24 shells.  I am thinking that the stretchy quality of merino will give me some shaping if I work to nil or negative ease. My friend decided to shorten her foundation row by 4 shells. She considered going down to a smaller size, but the smaller size was a little too small for her bust measurements.

Then I realised that maybe the extra width in the original work was allowing for shrinkage after washing/blocking (does linen shrink?) So I then went off in a mild panic to wash and hang my swatch. Thankfully, there was next to no shrinkage, and the rows stretched vertically, opening up the pattern stitch beautifully, whilst maintaining the same horizontal gauge.  After making these discoveries we decided we had better get in touch with this forum and it was great to see Toni's pictures showing the before and after blocking effects. My friend has decided that we too should take lots of pictures along the way.

We have already modified the pattern repeats so we are keen to see how that will affect later stages of the pattern.We expect that this is a project that will teach us a lot - we are very excited about this.

My friend learned about turning at the end of each rnd. She says she read the pattern right through multiple times but somehow the word 'turn' escaped her notice. I was a bit concerned about the schematic because I wasn't sure whether it included the bottom band or neckbands at all. It would have been good if the schematic was captioned with this information as it was not clear in the pattern. The total length of the garment did not appear in the list of measurements, only the "to fit bust" measurement was quoted.  Maybe these are issues that the pattern writers should consider - highlighting or underlining the word TURN and being more specific about what is included in the schematics when there are different parts to be added. Is it a standard practice in garment patterns for the schematic to not include trims such as neckbands, borders, buttonbands and waistbands? This is not obvious for someone who may be reading a garment pattern for the first time.

Other than that, we are both in love with the pattern...it is so pretty, and I love the colours that people have made it in so far. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
kaylamew wrote
on Feb 16, 2012 9:34 PM

Howdy all!

Just letting you know that I finally finished the whole project!  Please go look at the members gallery page for a few photos by me :) Please enjoy! I'm so glad I finished, now on to the next crochet-a-long!

Page 5 of 6 (76 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next > | RSS