The Official Betty's Tunisian Tee Crochet-along

This post has 69 Replies | 25 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Sep 16, 2011 4:45 PM

Since the preview of the Interweave Crochet Fall 2011 issue, there has been lots of interest in Betty's Tunisian Tee by Tram Nguyen. I quickly fell in love with this Tunisian top as well. So let's work on it together! Here is the pattern information as well as the proposed schedule. I am trying to give everyone plenty of time through the holiday season, but go ahead and work at your own pace.

Designer: Tram Nguyen
Finished Size:
31½ (34½, 37½, 40, 46, 48½, 54½)" bust circumference. Garment shown measures 34½", modeled with ½" negative ease.
Yarn:
Stitch Diva Studios Studio Silk (100% silk, 120 yd [110 m]/1¾ oz [50 g]): hushed lavender, 9 (10, 12, 13, 17, 19, 23) skeins.
Hook Size:
I/9 (5.5 mm) Tunisian hook. Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions:
St holders; yarn needle.
Gauge:
20 sts and 20 rows = 4" in tks.

Betty's Tunisian Tee

September 26th – October 10th Order yarn and pattern and get gauge.
October 11th – 31st Work first and second base triangles.
November 1st – 21st Work first and second body blocks.
November 22nd – December 12th Work bust and back blocks.
December 13th – January 2nd Work sleeves.
January 3rd – January 9th Finishing.

You can find more information about the crochet-along as well as links to the issue, the yarn used, and a blog on the unique construction on the crochet-along page. I can't wait to crochet this glamorous tee with you!

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mikesch765 wrote
on Sep 26, 2011 12:58 PM

Hi Toni,

I want to follow your crochet along, but in Germany I can´t buy your originally yarn Stitch Diva Studios Studio Silk! What yarn can I substitute?

Can I take cotton with silk p.e.?

Thank you for answering!

Meike

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Sep 26, 2011 1:08 PM

Hi Meike,

Yes, a cotton silk combination would work well. You could use an acrylic or wool as well, though the wool would be quite warm. And remember that cotton as well as silk can have a tendency to grow over time. This top would work well with a large variety of yarn. Just make sure it is the same weight or size as the Stitch Diva Silk and that you can get gauge. Also, make sure your yarn allow the stitches to be very crisp, which shouldn't be a problem for the cotton/silk combination, so that the stitches have good definition.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
dmae169 wrote
on Sep 27, 2011 4:07 AM

Toni, I love this project!!!

I am new to tunisian and am unsure that the fabric should be this"thick". Should it be a double thickness if I am doing this correctly?

I have been looking on the internet, It looks like I am doing this correctly, but the image of this project looks like it drapes nicely, and my work is thick and stiff???

Denise

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Sep 27, 2011 9:23 AM

Hi Denise,

Yes, Tunisian crochet is very thick. It sounds like you are right on track. I was surprised by its thickness the first time I worked Tunisian stitches as well. The stitches can also be a bit stiffer than regular crochet stitches.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Gypsysmomma wrote
on Sep 28, 2011 8:40 AM

I have just discovered the CAL. Is it too late to get the pattern? I would love to make this shirt and work with you guys :)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Oct 3, 2011 7:32 AM

I first learned Tunisian crochet in the 80s and made a few afghans in the basic stitch with a pattern weaved through the stitches of the finished afghan.  It seemed that Tunisian crochet disappeared, then I saw this pattern for the Tee.  It peeked my interest and prompted me to subscribe to Interweave Crochet magazine and I decided to join this crochet-along.  How exactly does the crochet-along work?   

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 3, 2011 11:33 AM

The crochet-alongs are pretty laid back. I will post a suggested calendar in the CAL as well as links to the pattern in the store and to the suggested yarn, though many people substitute yarn. I'll post a few blogs with tips and suggestions, and you can ask questions and follow along on this forum. We are so happy to have you joining us!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
RuthS@8 wrote
on Oct 3, 2011 2:38 PM

I would love to make this tee. I only recently learned the simple tunisian stitch. Do you think I can make this with the help of the TAL?

Ruth

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 13
RuthS@8 wrote
on Oct 3, 2011 2:38 PM

I would love to make this tee. I only recently learned the simple tunisian stitch. Do you think I can make this with the help of the TAL?

Ruth

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,218
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 3, 2011 3:19 PM

Hi Ruth,

For this top, fairly even stitches are the most important so that the shaping works out correctly. The actual stitches aren't that difficult once you understand the construction. If you are an advanced beginner or intermediate crocheter, not counting the Tunisian, you should be fine with this pattern. If you are not, it may be more difficult but certainly not impossible. We would all be very happy to help you.

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on Oct 6, 2011 2:12 PM

hi:)

Would love to join this CAL.  I'm using a bamboo/cotton blend from King Cole which is lovely yarn, and I'm using a size 5mm hook.  The 5.5 was producing too few stitches, and so far the smaller one seems to be more in line with the gauge in the pattern.

So, just gauging at the moment:)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
AngelG wrote
on Oct 7, 2011 6:41 PM

Hi Everyone. 

When I saw this top in an email, I knew I had to make it.

I'm in the middle of gauging right now and having a little trouble.  My first swatch came out at 4.5" w x 4" h on the 5.5 mm hook.  The second one came out at 3.5" x 3" on 5 mm hook.  I'm going to try the 5.5 mm hook again and see if I can maintain my tension better.  I'm a novice when it come to Tunisian crochet but I seem to be getting better. 

One question...  If my measurements fall between two sizes, would you make the smaller or larger size?  I'm leaning to the smaller size. With store-bought clothing, I find that if I get the larger size to fit my chest, the shoulders and length tend to be too big.  I appreciate any suggestions.

~Angel

Not Ranked
Posts 3
chermite wrote
on Oct 11, 2011 1:08 AM

Hello All,

I have finished the first 2 set-up rows and tried to start Row 1 of the first base triangle and came to a screeching halt.  I don't understand what is required next.  It says to work TKS in the next 2 TKS and then RetP for Row 1, then do the same for the next row doing 3 TKS and RetP and then the 3rd row is the same only for 4 TKS. 

On Row 2, do the 3 TKS use the 2 TKS on Row 1 and then 1 TKS on the set-up row?  And so on?  This makes a right angle triangle, not an isoceles triangle as shown on the diagram.

I'm terribly confused.  Please help.

Louise.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on Oct 11, 2011 1:16 PM

Try blocking the swatch and then measure again.  I got my gauge with a 5mm after blocking.

Page 1 of 5 (70 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS