Newbie with not much luck!

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
jomcandrew wrote
on Nov 12, 2011 9:53 PM

Hi, I was first shown how to crochet when I was a child. From what I remember and what I am seeing now I either remember incorrectly or was shown wrong.  Now that I am learning the right way to hold the needle and make a stitch I am afraid I am all thumbs.  Just to do the first row of chain sticthes I have a terrible time keeping them loose and then when I turn and try to do a stitch that I am watching a video clip online, her stiches all slide right over the needle with no problem but mine I am pulling off by the last set of stiches. The stitch I am referring to is the double crochet. You can clearly see the V pattern in the one in the video put I cannot clearly see mine.  I know there are a lot of issues to attack in my questions, but any feedback will be greatly appreciated as I do want to learn how to do this and enjoy it not get aggrivated every time I pick up the needle to try!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Nov 13, 2011 5:28 AM

It took me awhile to get the hang of crochet. My mom tried to teach me the basics about 6 years ago and after a year or so I gave up for about a year. I had a hard time keeping my chain loose or sometimes it was too tight. I still have problems with it 6 years later. For a long time every thing I made was in the single crochet. After that I moved to half-doubles and then doubles and eventually triples.

Don't give up. If this is a craft that you really want to learn then you will. You just need practice and patience for yourself. It is hard at first and it is frustrating. I totally understand. :) Have you tried searching Youtube for videos by Teresa Richardson? I have learned SO MUCH from her videos and at times I've watched her videos over and over until I understood what she was showing me. If you have a facebook, look her up and talk to her. She'll help you.

I have a FB too, My name is Jeannie Phillips. Or you can reach me at my email:  obsessive_anime_girl@msn.com   if you have any questions or just want to talk.

I hope you continue to learn. Crochet is fun.  Good luck!!

You buy the yarn, I'll make the afghan.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
angelika123 wrote
on Nov 13, 2011 10:24 AM

The only thing that helped me when I first started was to hold the chain stitch tightly with my thumbnail while I did the next stitch.  I hope that makes sense.  I found it was while I was creating the next stitch that I pulled the previous one tighter.  I still do that occassionally with tricky stitches, as it lets me concentrate on the pattern, without worrying about the tension.

If its double crochet you are starting with, I JUST YESTERDAY learned a new way of starting from the current issue of Inerweave Crochet!  I very very seldom buy books, but this one had two patterns I loved and couldn't find substitutes on the net. I'm doubley glad I did now.  In the glossary at the back, they call it a "foundation Double Crochet (FDC)", which gives a nice soft edge with some stretch to it - which is something chains just don't do.  Basically, you wrap your yarn like you are going to do a DC, but you slip the first loop, then use that loop for your DC.  That slipped st. is the one you use to make your next stitch.  It's kind of hard to discribe, that pictures make it quite simple and I'm sure it would work for triple cr. st. too.

Anyway, keep at it.  It'll be worth it.  If no written suggestions work for you, find someone to show you.  The folks at most yarn/needlework shops are usually eager to help, to keep you hooked, pun intended!  :D

Angelika

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Apr 18, 2012 11:14 AM

Thank you soo much for recommending the youtube video by teresa richardson!! I figured out what I was doing wrong and I think I will be using her videos for any more questions I have!! =) Yea I get it now!!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS