Hello from NY.. and I need help!!!

This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 16, 2012 4:50 PM

Hello All. Its great to find a place with similiar hobbies and interests. I am from Long Island NY. I have been at this since childhood but never learned to read a pattern. I have been struggling trying to understand how to read patterns. I can generally get through them by googling terms but this one has stumped me.. Can someone help me read this pattern, I love it and I just can not figure it out.

Ty for any help :-)

http://crochetdreamz.blogspot.com/2011/10/aesthetic-hooded-scarf-free-crochet.html

Not Ranked
Posts 2
cmgreve wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 10:16 AM

Hi Fiesty!

I'm new here too! I tried to click on your link but it took too long (probably my computer) the part of the scarf I saw looked cute. Good luck with your project!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
MarshaRice wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 12:56 PM

Perhaps you can tell us where you're stuck and someone can help you.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 18, 2012 6:59 PM

I am almost ashamed to see it, but almost right from the beginning. I put a line through the steps I got through, but then when she says turn --- 69... am I stitching 69 chains? going around the piece until I do 69?  and then more along the piece she says ---72 and so on. I just do not under stand what I am supposed to do at that point. Any help you can give me I would greatly appreciate. :-)  (sorry I could not insert the pics it jsut will not allow me) If you are comfortable exchanging an instant messenger name I could probably send you links, pictures from the site there.

h 32 + 2 for turning chain.

Row 1

: 1 hdc in 2nd ch from hook, 1 hdc in each chain across, 5 hdc in the last chain as shown in

pic 1

above.

Do not turn your work and continue to work along the opposite side of the foundation chain as shown

in

pic 2 above.

Work 1 hdc in the space between the first of the 5 stitches worked in the last chain and the stitch before

that as shown in pic 3, work 1 hdc in each gap across; Turn. -----------------------69 st

NOTE: For the rest of the rows, you will work only in the back loops on the right side and only in the

front loops on the wrong side. The idea is to leave a line of free loops on the right side as you work

each row as seen in

pic 7

above.

Place a marker on the right side of your work as shown in

pic 6

above.

Row 2

: Ch 3 (counts as 1st

dc here and throughout), 1 dc in each st across till you reach the 3 stitches

on top, 2 dc in each of the middle 3 st on top, 1 dc in each of the remaining stitches; Turn.---------72 st

Row 3

: Mark the top 7 stitches as shown in

pic 8.

Ch 3, 1 dc in each st till the marked st, 2 dc in marked st, 1 dc, 2dc, 1 dc, 2dc, 1dc, 2dc in the next

marked st, 1 dc in each of the remaining stitches; Turn.---------76 st

Row 4

: Ch 3, 1 dc in the next st, 1 dc in each st across till you reach the top, 2 dc in the middle 2

stitches on the top, 1 dc in each st across; Turn.------------78 st

Row 5 to 13 (Even Rows):

Ch 3, 1 dc in each st across----------------78 st

Your hood will now measure nearly 11 ¾ in height and 8 ½ inches wide when lying flat. The edging

will add the next ½ inch to the width and a sc row from the scarf will add a ¼ inch to the height of the

hood to make it 12 inches .

If you want your hood taller ( 12 inches should normally be enough) add a few single crochet rows at

the bottom of the hood. Ideally the hood should hit the middle of your neck and from there the scarf

should start.

Edging Row 1 ( comes aroundthe face)

: Ch 3 , 1 dc in the next st, *(ch2, sk 2, 1 dc in next) , repeat

from * till 2 or 3 st left, 1 dc in each st left; Fasten off.

Last Row of edging

( Sc row) : Join yarn with a sl st on the right side of your work at the base of the

front of the hood, ch 1 and work an even row of sc and when you reach the ch -2 loop you will be

working 2 sc into it. ; Do not fasten off.

Ridges on the Hood

Work slip stitches along the bottom side of the hood till you reach the 1

st

row of free loops as shown in

pic 9

above, ch 1 and start working 1 sc in to each of the chain loops to form a ridge as shown in

pic

. If you fold your work to bring your loops on the top edge it will be easier to work this row.

Once you have completed working sc into one row of free loops, slip stitch along the bottom of the

hood as before till you reach the next line of free loops and proceed to work sc into it.

Continue like this till you finish all the free loop rows and fasten off. I left the free loops around the

first hdc row but you can do that too if you wish.

Scarf Pattern

1. Chain and sl st to base of hood 2. Chain again at the other end of the hood

If you wish you can use the ridged stitch pattern for the scarf too.

Pattern

Chain for a length of 23 inches ( scarf length on one side of the hood) . Chain more if you want it

longer. Sl st to the base of the hood on the right side as shown in

pic 1 above

and ch 1, sc evenly

across the base of the hood to level it out, chain for 23 inches again at other end of the hood as shown

in

pic 2

and add 2 more for turning chain; Turn.

Row 1

: Ch 2, 1 hdc in 3rd

chain from hook, 1 hdc in each chain across, 1 hdc in each of the sc stitches

at the base of the hood, 1 hdc in each of the chains on the other side of the hood; Turn.

Row 2

: Ch 3 ( counts as 1st

dc); 1 dc in next st, *( ch 1, sk 1 , 1 dc in next) , repeat from * till 2 or 3

stitches left, 1 dc in each st left; Turn.

Row 3

: Ch 2 ( counts as 1st

hdc) , *(1 hdc in next st , 1 hdc into the chain loop), repeat from * till end

of row; Turn.

Row 4

: Ch 2 , 1 hdc in each st across.

Repeat Rows 2, 3 and 4 once.

Repeat Rows 2 and 3 once again and fasten off.

Finishing

Weave in all the ends.

Enjoy the cold weather in your cozy new Hooded Scarf!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
MarshaRice wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 8:21 PM

I don't have a clue how to message on this forum, but you could send me an email coomar@cogeco.ca and I'm sure I can get you going on this project. Don't worry about sending any pics, I've downloaded the pattern and I'm sure I can get you on the right track.

I'm editing this post because I've worked out the pattern. First, where it says Turn------------69sts, this is telling you there are 69 sts in the row. I must state, this is one of the worst written patterns I've come acrossed.

Lets move on, as you work this pattern this is the hood and you're working from the back to the front in a U shape, so you're working up one side and down the other. I can see from your post that you've completed row 1.

Row 2: Working in front loops only, ch 3 (counts as 1st dc) dc in next 33 dc, 2 dc in each of the next 3 dc, dc in next 33 dc (72 sts in row), turn

Row 3: Ch 3,  Working in back loops only dc in next 30 dc. 2 dc in next dc, 1dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, 1 dc in next dc, 2 dc in next dc, dc in each st to end of row (76 sts in row), turn

Row 4: Ch 3, working in back loops only, dc in next 37 dc, 2 dc in each of next 2 dc, dc to end of row.(78 sts in row) turn.

Row 5 - 13 work 1 dc in each dc. Start each row with a ch 3 and work in the front or back loops depending if you're at the right side or wrong side, all the loose loops should be on the right side. Count the stitches as you go because it's easy to increase a stitch without realizing it. Make sure you have 78 sts in each row.

If you have any problems with the rest of the pattern give a holler

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Jan 20, 2012 8:51 PM

Thank you soooo much! I thought I was a complete idiot trying to read and understand it. Your break down truly healed alot.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
MarshaRice wrote
on Jan 20, 2012 9:29 PM

You're very welcome

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Gorneycsed wrote
on Jan 22, 2012 5:26 PM

Analytical Systems International Keco has provided field-proven, continuous on-line process and laboratory analyzers for refineries, chemical plants, gas processing plants and other industries world wide for over 26 years. These highly dependable and trouble-free products include H2S in liquids analyzers (water, crude, amine, diesel, gasoline & naphtha), Hydrocarbon (VOC) in Water analyzers, Oil in Water monitors, and hydrogen sulfide (H2S), carbon dioxide (CO2) and Total Sulfur gas analyzers. Analytical Systems also provides full support for Houston Atlas Tracor analyzers including detect cassette and H2S sensing tapes for most H2S and Total Sulfur analyzers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jan 22, 2012 8:50 PM

The numbers 69 and 72 and so forth through the pattern are the number of stitches that you should have in your row.  They do that so that you can make sure that you are getting the same count as they are.  I know that when the pattern has the number at the end of the step that I should come up with will help me because sometimes I get lost when I don't pay close attention to what I am doing.  I take my crocheting along with me most of the time, and when someone stops me to talk or ask a question then I have to go back and count.  I hope this helps you.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS