Need help working with super bulky yarn

This post has 9 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
DanaLass wrote
on Feb 6, 2012 4:00 PM

I need help!  I bought some really soft, wonderful yarn to crochet a blanket for my first Grandchild that is due next month.  My problem is, I cant see my stiches!  I don't know where to insert the hook, cant count the stitches or rows.  Does anyone have any tips for working with fuzzy super bulky yarn?  I was just going to use either a single crochet or half double crochet stitch to whip out this wonderful soft blanket, but am just getting more and more frustrated.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 158
on Feb 6, 2012 7:38 PM

I know just what you mean and I have no crochet solution.  What I did was, instead of crocheting with this fuzzy yarn, I knitted with it and it turned out beautiful.  Good Luck!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Feb 7, 2012 8:39 AM

You might try using a larger hook to open up your stitches a bit so you can see them.  Sometimes the yarn  just doesn't fit the pattern you've chosen.  Trying a different pattern might be the answer. 

I offer that as a suggestion because it's the same delimna I'm facing with an afghan I'm making.  I just bought 4 super large skeins of a bulky brushed yarn that is self-patterning.  It was a clearance item; I liked the color and it's softness and  thought it would make a really nice lap-ghan.  I hate it.  It's too fuzzy and sheds it's fibers as I work.  I'm trying my third pattern with this yarn but I'm still unhappy and will probably just throw the whole mess away.  It does not release the stitches once it's worked.  So, ripping it apart to start a different pattern has been a nightmare and aggravated the fuzzy problem.  The fuzz is also rolling into little balls which is very ugly.  Hmmm, I think that I've just talked myself into counting this yarn mistake as not worth my time and effort nor would it be an appreciated gift.  Think I'll just package it up and donate the yarn to our craft group.  Maybe someone else can find a worthy project for this yarn.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Agrestid wrote
on Mar 17, 2012 2:00 AM

I have a pattern for a 13 stitch repeat on a close braid cable but I need to know how to convert it to 12 stitches. I am designing my own pattern for hose and I am stuck.
Lift Serum Pro

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 12, 2012 2:10 PM

I have the same problem.  I have a pattern that calls for this fuzzy bulky yarn.  I have used the large hook it calls for and still can't see the stitches.  How do I see the stitches?  I love the yarn and want to use it.

Dianne

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 88
DonnaP wrote
on Apr 12, 2012 2:17 PM
Sometimes it helps if I keep the fingers of my left hand on the stitches being worked. I can't see the stitches, but I can feel them. Also, as someone else suggested, knitting with these yarns is easier.
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Edwardskt wrote
on Sep 27, 2013 11:14 PM

I have to agree with feeling for the stitch as oppose to looking for it. I'm using some fuzzy bulky yarn right now for making hats and I'm using a 10 mm hook  I've found that with the large hook it makes it fairly easy to feel the stitch. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Tarilyn wrote
on Jan 3, 2014 12:56 AM

I know what you all mean about not being able to see my stitches with the fuzzy yarn. I make amigurumi, which needs a small stitch so you can't see the stuffing. I like how my dolls come out when they're fuzzy, but it takes so long because its so hard to see. And with using my smaller hook its harder to feel as well. Sometimes I pair it with a medium weight which helps you to see it. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
aportofships wrote
on Jan 3, 2014 12:54 PM

I would also recommend using stitch markers at the beg/end of each row; it really helps so that you don't accidentally add/drop a stitch.  My sister made my son a blanket in a fuzzy bulky yarn and my son still loves it; he is now 2.  Good luck! I am sure that your grandchild will treasure your work forever :  )

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Cdanireed wrote
on Jun 21, 2014 1:30 AM

Yes, you need to feel the stitches.

Be careful not to twist your work, especially when you first start. 

You need to make the stitches larger than you think you should. Pull the yarn as far as you need to in order to make each stitch flat. 

When you join to the previous row or round, instead of slip stitching, you may need to just chain and use your first your stitch to join them.

When turning a corner or making a circle, you may need to use more stitches than normal in order to make your work lie flat. 

If the yarn is super super bulky (about an inch thick or so), you may want to stick to a pattern that only uses single crochet.

instead of hiding the tail by crocheting over it, you may need to weave it in when you are finished.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS