The Official Meadow Shawl Crochet-Along

This post has 8 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 129
Sarah Read wrote
on Apr 4, 2012 3:44 PM

It's a crochet shawl, made of Nazli Gelin thread, and designed by Kathy Merrick. Of course this means I have to make it, right? It's the perfect recipe for happy stitching. If you'd like to join in the Meadow Shawl crochet-along! I'll be going at a nice leisurely pace of around one motif per day, reveling in the fact that this lightweight cotton thread makes for great warm-weather crocheting; perfect for a few stolen moments on the front porch, sipping iced tea.

One of the greatest things about this shawl is the color play. Kathy adores designing with color, and this shawl is a great way to dive in to playing with all the combinations that the Nazli Gelin thread offers.

I adore the spring cherry-blossom colors of the original shawl, but I often wear darker colors, and the way the wheels and spokes of the motif work invokes a very Steampunk vibe for me. So I've gone for three shades of brown, two greens, a black, and a dark rose color. I think it should be wearable and neutral, but still have an edgy attitude.

We encourage you to play with color as well! We've put together a coloring-book version of the motif placement chart from page 22 of the Spring issue. Print off a few copies, break out your colored pencils and let your inspiration guide you!

Here's my coloring page all filled in! And here's my thread, complete with my wee beginnings of a motif.

Join us in the forums to talk about color, and when you're ready to get started, check out my blog post on working over your ends to secure them...instead of weaving in the approximately 643 ends in this shawl.

Happy stitching!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Apr 11, 2012 9:19 AM

This is a beautiful shawl.  However, the last time I made something with motifs, I swore to never, ever take on a project like that again.  I absolutely HATE sewing the motifs together!  However, seeing this shawl, my resolve is weakening.  I do remember that I liked the fact that making motifs is a great take-along project.  The pattern is usually easy to remember and it's not bulky which often makes it difficult to take with you as something to do to help pass the time when sitting in the doctor's office, for example.  And, I love working thread crochet!

I'd really like to join the CAL for this shawl.  However, before committing, I have one question:  Will other size #10 crochet thread work for this shawl?  The Nazli Gelin is a little too expensive for my budget.  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Apr 16, 2012 1:50 PM

I found size 10 thread on sale, 25% off, at joann fabrics, 100% cotton, may not be as soft but may work.  I do want to do this shawl too!  I have never made a motif project before.  Started a shell from the same issue, Sweetgrass.  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
NatACT wrote
on Apr 17, 2012 1:02 AM

ooo I'm excited for this one... I'm an Aussie subscriber and I skipped over this one thinking "oh my goodness, look at all those little motif's, think of all those little tail's and all the weaving in..." 

But at looking at the chart I think I can join as I go. I'm not making the shawl as a shawl, I have a summer time project in mind for all these little motifs. Its something I've been wanting to do but just needed the right motif to suit my needs :)

I'm using a 3ply (Fingering). The centers are from a large ball of rainbow variegated, quite a slow variegation so each center is a solid colour. 

I guess I will will 198 motif's, I've got 5 done so far, they work up quickly and I'm getting the same gauge as the pattern so hopefully my estimate isn't off by too many :)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 28
physicsgirl wrote
on Apr 17, 2012 3:29 PM

I probably wouldn't have planned on doing this CAL with Interweave's CrochetMe... except for the fact that I found some Aunt Lydia's (another size 10 mercerized cotton) on sale for ~$2 a ball (when you include tax) shortly after it was announced.  So I'm not going to go uber-creative with motif placement or coloring...  I'm going to stick with the pattern's arrangement of motifs, but sub in some different colors:

Brown becomes "Russet", White stays White, Light Pink becomes "Delft Porcelain" light blue, Almond becomes "Copper Mist", Bright Pink becomes "River Blue", Burgundy stays Burgundy, Deep Olive stays "Olive", and Yellow stays "Goldenrod".

I was surprised the pattern called for one ball of Almond given its relative abundance in the template... so I got an extra ball of the Copper Mist, for 12 balls total.. or a shawl under $25 US.

I will be creating a Ravelry project page with a yarn picture shortly.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 129
Sarah Read wrote
on Apr 23, 2012 2:42 PM

Yes! Any size 10 thread will work, and as folks have pointed out, the modular nature of this shawl makes it possible to make it in any yarn. Motifs are joined as you go, so no sewing! And working over your ends, as I mentioned in my blog, will save on that as well.

I'm pretty sure that should eliminate any excuse anyone ever had for not making this, right???

I'm enjoying mine so far. How are yours coming along?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ellen el wrote
on Apr 27, 2012 11:13 AM

i am a few days behind but i can catch up,  i like the idea of doing this along with others it will motivate me.  i bought the mag just because of this shawl on the cover.  i am going to my knitting group today,  i was thinking of doing it in jojoland either melody or rhymn,  the yarn is varigated and i can mix and match.  i tend to not follow patterns exactly since i like being creative.  with using the varigated i can follow the motif pattern but not have to change colors as often.  thanks for the inspiration

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 29, 2012 9:35 PM

My shawl is coming along fantastic. I'm making this shawl for my daughter in Aunt Lydia's bamboo 10. The colors are natural, pure pink, zen green and mushroom. The motifs are lacy, soft and romantic.  

Not Ranked
Posts 1
kathymerrick wrote
on May 4, 2012 10:56 AM

I am here to assure you that I only used one ball of Almond.

The only two colors I broke into a second ball for were White and Pale Pink.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS