My Hospital Afghans

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Apr 8, 2012 10:16 AM

My husband was admitted to the hosptal in early March with severe pneumonia.  He ended up in ICU in an induced sleep for 13 days because he had to be intubated and had other complications.  It was very scary and there was a time when we (doctors and me) weren't sure he would pull through.  After a month, he is still in the hospital, but has been transferred to a pulmonary rehabilitation hospital and is slowly recovering.  My long days of sitting by his side were occupied with crocheting.  Both of these afghans were completed during that time.

I saw the Navajo Indian Multi-Colored Afghan at this site and put it on my "to-do" list but ended up making it sooner rather than later.

Circular Jacob's Ladder Afghan, approx. 60" diameter.  Always wanted to make a round afghan and when I saw the Jacob's Ladder pattern, I knew that was the one I wanted to make.  I had a sunflower in mind when I started and bought 6 shades from pale yellow to bright orange.  After a few rows, I ended up taking it apart.  Even though it was bright, it just didn't have any "pop."  I looked at several other round afghans and decided I needed a completely different color and that's how the white and purple got added.  Rather than a sunflower, it reminds me now of stained glass.

Anyway, these are what I will always refer to as my "hospital afghans."  They kept my hands occupied while my mind was occupied with prayers for my husband.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
cmadd76 wrote
on Sep 3, 2013 1:59 PM

Those are both very beautiful afghans you made! So sorry to hear about your husband. Is he ok now? Please update us on him.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Sep 3, 2013 7:15 PM

Thanks for the compliment!  I donated both of those afghans to my sister's church for their annual auction to raise money for their Christmas program.  My husband is doing fine.  He had a long recovery and a few setbacks but is doing okay now.  Thanks for asking.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
elainefregia wrote
on Apr 11, 2014 2:38 PM

I made the Navajo afghan years ago.  It took me a whole year to complete it working on it after the housework was done and the kids were asleep.  I commend you.I'm very glad your husband is doing better.  I have a friend who saw mine and asked me for the pattern,which I no longer have. Will you tell me where you got the pattern?  Thank you.  elainefregia@yahoo.com

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Apr 23, 2014 1:12 PM

BEAUTIFUL!!! I also would like to have the pattern for the Navajo afghan please.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
and cannot ever pay the debt.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS