The Official Crochet Oya Crochet-Along: A Create Your Own CAL

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 100
on Jun 8, 2012 12:06 PM

Greetings, yarn friends!

If you can believe it, we began our search for Oya back in October of last year. While I was not familiar with this traditional Turkish crochet edging, I quickly fell in love with the idea of applying a crocheted edging to EVERYTHING. See, one of my (favorite) job responsibilities is gathering up visual inspiration for each issue. I know, you're silently cursing me a bit now. I really do just get to sleuth around for the most beautiful possibilities that we can shape into a crochet story. But now you can join me!
Clockwise From Upper Left: Traditional Oya, Tiara Trim, Loopy Edging, Swirl Edge, and Bruges Edging

I'm beginning a crochet-along that is all about taking our oya and making it whatever you want it to be. You can search for anywhere you like to find inspiration. Try vintage shops, your favorite boutiques, magazines, or scour the internet. Next, choose which edging pattern from the issue (above) is right for your project. Or, you could just save yourself the grief and make one of everything. I have chosen the Traditional Oya by Dora Ohrenstein, Tiara Trim by Shelby Allaho, and Loopy Edging by Victoria Hewerdine Thornton. Toni will be making the Bruges Border by Natasha Robarge, and we have a very special Swirl Edge by P. K. Olson project that Marcy will reveal in our Fall issue.

Happy Stitching,

-Sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 100
on Jun 15, 2012 1:49 PM

Greetings, yarn friends!

Hopefully you are all well on your way to gathering up yarn, fabrics, and notions to begin your crochet oya projects. For me, it turned out to be quite the delightful scavenger hunt. Under my bed were some errant fat quarters of quilting fabrics that I acquired some time ago. Those will become a pair of tea towels for the kitchen. I just finished a jar of preserves, so I carefully soaked and rinsed it out with some deliciously smelly dish soap. I want to make the lid into a pincushion and crochet Shelby Allaho's Tiara Trim around the edge. I'll also use it as button storage. Do you have as many buttons floating about your craft space as I do in mine? I took a stroll down to one of our local antique shops and rifled through a lovely little collection of vintage hankies and for a whopping $6, walked out with three little lovelies. I think I'll give these as gifts to some of the ladies in my life.

Over the weekend, I even got a jump-start on Dora Ohrenstein's Traditional Oya. See all those pretty white flowers? I chose to use a sport-weight linen rather than thread. I'd like to make mine into a pretty garland to string around my bedroom. I'll show you a few more ideas I have for this lovely, versatile design as well. Come join me over at the forums and share what you will be working on, won't you please?

Happy Stitching!

-Sharon

P.S. If you're feeling ambitious, our special fabric design featured in the Interweave Crochet Summer 2012 New & Notable is available for purchase on the Spoonflower website, here:

http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/interweave_crochet

P.P.S. See that hook? It's blown glass. The picture doesn't do justice to its beauty. It was generously sent to me by these folks, and I'll be testing it out with these oya designs.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS