Help with equivalent yarn for Lace Canopy Cardi Wrap

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
beigey wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 4:54 AM

Hi
Want to make the Lace Canopy Cardi Wrap from Interweave crochet (Fall 2011) but not keen on the colours of suggested yarn (the fibre company canopy fingering).  Anyone found an equivalent?  A bit confused as the suggested yarn is called 'fingering' but magazine version of pattern says it's a (3) weight - which is DK, isnt it?

thanks

PS - I'm looking for something reasonably priced - can't afford hand dyed loveliness I'm afraid.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
scalcutt wrote
on Jun 28, 2012 3:49 PM

Hi,

First off: Fingering weight is a slightly smaller yarn freguently used for baby clothes and socks while (3) weight is just a little larger and is called DK weight.  Either weight will work for the Pattern (I have it too but I haven't made it yet.  It's on my "to make"  list.)   A place I have discovered called Valley Yarn www.yarn.com  has a large variety of yarns which are both hand dyed and machine made. They also have a large selection of colors at some very affordable prices and some that are more pricey.

The first  that you could eaisly subsitute is called Deerfield (DK Weight) and is 80% Baby Alpaca and 20% Silk @ $ 6.99 for  each 109 yd skein.

2nd is called Northfield which is 70% Morino/20% Baby Alpaca/ 10% Silk and is $ 5.49 a skein.  Both types are DK Weight.   When you call up both types on the computer it will say "Discountable" which means if you order $ 60 dollars or more (Including books which are almost all Knit books and patterns), they will discount it by 20%  and if you order $ 120 dollars they will discount it by 25%.

www.marymaxim.com has their own line of finger weight materials and their prices are reasonable. 

Samantha

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
caladenia wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 6:25 AM

i am making hte top using a bamboo thread, its an italian yarn called stella, and its knitting needles on the pattern is US 2-3 size if that is any help.  it seems to be working out well. 

i think its a matter of doing a tension check and seeing how it matches with te pattern's guidelines.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS