Mohair Tips / Advice

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
cmoehl wrote
on Jul 7, 2012 1:18 PM

Someone gave me some very large balls (450 grams) of Mohair ( 90% +) yarn - heavy worsted or bulky weight.
I made a beautiful, simple Kimono, with large hook ( N - I think) and double crochet.  It wasn't neccessary to block, but it was shedding so I put it in the dryer with a Bounce dryer sheet.  It sheds so bad I can't wear it.
What did I do wrong?  Too big a hook/guage?  Not blocking?  The dryer sheet?

I have another ball and don't want the same result.

Thank you for any advice.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 28
physicsgirl wrote
on Jul 8, 2012 9:26 AM

I don't work much with mohair or even wear mohair ready-to-wear (because I find the longer hairy fibers kinda itchy in most cases)... but it's my understanding that the scratchiness and shedding are both really dependent on the quality of the yarn, and that in mohair, you pay for what you get... cheaper mohair yarns are typically more scratchy and shedding than expensive ones.  The more expensive ones generally use the fibers from younger animals (which might be finer -- like baby hair -- and longer -- like fuzzy kittens?).

My guess is that it might help to use a smaller hook and tighter gauge in order to work the hairs in more it might shed less... but of course then you probably lose the real beauty of mohair -- that airy ethereal quality that makes me always eye it even though I never purchase it.  From my understanding Kidsilk Haze (Rowan yarns) is pretty great, but I haven't tried it yet.  It's a laceweight, so the plus is that even if you pay a fair amount, you get decent yardage.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
wandnancy91 wrote
on Jul 30, 2012 12:15 AM

This is the reason why I personally hand washed my crochet things. I also don't put it in a dryer. I just hang them and let the heat of the day dry them.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS