Need help with a pattern

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
rosco1937 wrote
on Jul 18, 2012 9:20 AM

Pattern reads *ch 1, sk next sc, (CL special st.)in next st, ch 3, sk next st) 3 times, CL in next st, ch 1, sk next sc, dc in next 5 sts, rep from* across

Special Stitch:

Cluster (CL) yo, insert hook in st, yo, pull lp through st, yo, pull through 2 lps on hook, (yo, insert hook in same st, yo, pull lp through st, yo, pull through 2 lps on hook) 3 times, yo, pull through all lps on hook.

The words 3 times have me stumped.  Do I make 3 clusters?  At the end of the row it tells you how many dcs, scs, and chain 3 spaces you should have.  I have too many.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,239
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 18, 2012 11:06 AM

Usually this would apply to the stitches within the parentheses or brackets. You seem to have too many parentheses though. Can you contact the designer for clarification?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 158
on Jul 18, 2012 11:02 PM

To make a cluster:

1. yo, insert hook in st, yo, pull lp through st, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook.

2.  (yo, insert hook in the same st (as in #1), yo, pull lp through st, yo, pull through 2 loops on hook ( you now have 2 loops on your hook)

3. Repeat line # 2.  you now have 3 loops remaining on your hook.

4. Repeat line #2, you now have 4 loops remaining on your hook.  Now yo and pull through all 4 loops on your hook.  Cluster is completed.,

The pattern reads *ch 1, skip next sc.  (Make a  cluster in the next stitch. Ch 3. Skip next stitch. ) Do what is in parenthesis 3 times.  Then make a cluster in the next stitch, ch1, skip the next sc, dc in the next 5 stitches  Now repeat this starting at *ch 1.

Hope this helps.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 158
on Jul 19, 2012 11:06 AM

Just checking back to see if you need more help on your problem.  I can clarify it better if you would like me to.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
rosco1937 wrote
on Jul 24, 2012 11:11 PM

Thank you so much.  I got disgusted and ripped the whole thing out.I still don't understand why you would do the instructions in parenthesis 3 times, and then be instructed to make a cluster in the next stitch.  Why not say "make 4 clusters", ch1 and skip the next sc, dc in next 5 stitches.

When I get back to the project, I'll let you know how I'm doing. Very kind of you to check back.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 88
DonnaP wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 8:41 AM

Because it isn't telling you to make 4 clusters. It is telling you to (make a cluster, chain 3 and skip the next stitch) three times or: make a cluster, chain 3 and skip the next stitch, make a cluster, chain 3 and skip the next stitch, make a cluster, chain 3 and skip the next stitch. Then you make the 4th cluster. In other words,  it is telling you to do what is in the parentheses three times.

(Although Toni is correct that the parens aren't matched in the directions you quoted.)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
zindgi wrote
on Aug 26, 2014 5:27 AM

It is interesting and valuable, that's great..

rabie

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS