amigurumi pattern Help

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
AmiNewb wrote
on Jul 24, 2012 12:36 PM

Hi everyone!

So I'm totally new to crocheting at all but I wanted to get into making little amigurumi guys. I watched some youtubes and my moms makes hats and knows the basics so I think I understand some; basic knots, chain stich, single crochet. So I wanted to make a little dinosaur and found a pattern I liked but I'm having trouble understanding it, here the first couple lines (I bought it so I didnt just want to copy and paste everything)

Work 8 chain stitches (do not close them into a circle) and continue crocheting around them:

Rnd 1: 7 single crochet, 5 single crochet in next stitch, 6 single crochet, 2 single crochet in next stitch (20 stitches)

Rnd 2: 7 single crochet, 2 single crochet in each stitch 5 times, 7 single crochet, 2 single crochet in next stitch (26 stitches)

Rnd 3: 2 single crochet in first stitch, 7 single crochet, *2 single crochet in next stitch, 1 single crochet* repeat from *to* 5 times, 7 single crochet, 2 single crochet in next stitch (33 stitches)

I dont understand after you make the chain stitches which ones you put the following SC into? theres CH and seems to be only 4 directions, is it missing like the "do this to 2 stitches" part? and the astricks and *Repeat from* *to*???

Ive read other patterns and understood them this is just making me crazy, thank you for any help!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,324
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 24, 2012 1:32 PM

I haven't seen it written quite like this, but for Rnd 1 you need to work first in the bottom of your chain and then in the top. So work the chain and then single crochet into the bottom of the bottom of the last chain you just worked. Then single crochet in the bottom of the next 6 chain. This is the "7 single crochet." Next work 5 single crochet in the bottom of the last remaining chain.

Now you will begin working in the top of the chains. Work a single crochet in the top of each of the next 6 chain and 2 single crochet in the last chain. You will keep working around and around like this.

I hope this helps!

~ Toni

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 158
on Jul 24, 2012 2:40 PM

This is the way I read these instructions:

Chain 8.  Row 1: Sc in the 2nd chain and next 6 chains.  Make 5 sc in the last chain.

Now you will go down the other side of your beginning chain.  6 sc in the next 6 chains, 2 sc in the last chain.

For Rnd 2 you will go down the single crochets of Row 1.

For Rnd 3 you will go down the other side.

The rounds you are working on will always be facing you.  This will be the right side of your work.

Hope this helps.

Happy Hooking.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
AmiNewb wrote
on Jul 24, 2012 4:55 PM

OOOO Sleep I get it now! Thanks guys! One more thing, I just tried this and with chains I seems like I actually have to loop it though 9 times to get 8 holes that I can Sc through, is this right? Also this is a spiral stitch right, I dont have to close it as I do around, just keep track of the beginning of the row?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 158
on Jul 24, 2012 7:26 PM

If you need to loop it through 9 time to get the 8 holes, go for it. 

That is right, you dont have to close it as you go around. 

Yes, keep track of the beginning of the row.  I like to use a bobby pin to mark the beginning of my rows.  It comes out easily and goes into the next needed stitch easily. It just dangles there and doesnt get in your way.

You are doing fine.  Keep it up.

Happy Hooking.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS