Best Kind of Yarn???

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Aug 29, 2012 3:20 PM

Hi Everyone...

I am new to the world of Crochet and I have a few beginners questions...

I just finished my first scarf (which I am very proud of BTW :) ) Anyway... Not having any knowledge of yarns or supplies I simply purchased a 100% acrylic yarn that I thought was pretty.  To my luck, after watching my how to DVD and youtube tutorials, It was the kind that they recommended for a beginner.  I think I bought Red Hart Brand.  It ended up being super hard and itchy.  I wasn't really planning on wearing it, so that's okay.  So my question to you would be what brand yarn do you recommend and why?  I know different projects require different types of yarn but I am really wanting to know about your brand preference?  Any good starter tips?  And is there really a difference with the cheaper stuff versus the more expensive.  Since I am still learning I only plan on going to Hobby Lobby or Walmart for my yarn.. So please recommend stuff that I could find there.  I will be more open to better stuff as I become better at Crochet.  Thanks so much guys!!!

-sweetorchid-

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 158
on Aug 29, 2012 4:11 PM

Personally, I love Caron"s Simply Soft.  My scarves and shawls are so comfy soft and have a silky feeling.  This yarn is under $3 at Walmart and about $4 at Michaels.  I do not have a Hobby Lobby where I live, but I see their ad in the newspaper and they have very reasonable prices.

I have made 2 shawls each for my daughter and granddaughter and they want more!!!  They absolutely love the feel.  And I was able to keep 1 shawl for myself. :~)

For neck scarves, short or long, I like the Simply Soft again.  My granddaughter likes both narrow and wide scarves. She wears them with her tees and blouses.   I like them about 6" wide for me to wear under my coat in the winter time.

Check out www.caron.com for some easy patterns.  I am sure you will find some you like.  Also www.Bernat.com  www.Patonyarns.com  www.lionbrand.com and www.ravelry.com . You do not have to use the yarn called for in patterns.  If a pattern calls for a No. 4 yarn, you can use a No.4 yarn from a different company.

Little Facts of Little Interest:  Walmart and Hobby Lobby are 2 of the top ten companies on the Christian List along with Forever 21.

Happy Hooking !

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 89
DonnaP wrote
on Aug 30, 2012 8:53 AM

First, there is a HUGE difference between the cheaper and more-expensive yarns. If you will be doing a lot of crocheting, the cheaper stuff is much harder on your hands. I didn't  believe that until I made a good-sized shawl using Misti Alpaca yarn.

In general, Lion Brand is my favorite of the less-expensive yarns. Vanna's Choice is quite nice for a 100% acrylic yarn and comes in a good color range. Also, I haven't found as many knots (end joinings) as in some of the other brands.

Another yarn I really like is Caron Naturally Country. It has some wool in it, is very silky and there is a good color choice. This yarn requires very little blocking, which is a plus for beginners.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Sep 1, 2012 7:54 AM

Thank you guys very much for the reply.  I will make a note of all of your recommendations :)

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JodiP@2 wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 5:10 AM

Vanna's Choice by Lion Brand, and Simply Soft by Caron are my most-used brands.  They're often on sale, easy to find, easy to work with and both wash up wonderfully.   I do not like Red Heart at all.

Lion Brand, Caron, and Bernat are my favorite overall brands, as well as Patons but it's harder to find in a good selection.   IMO when selecting yarn for a project you should stick with the same brand for the whole piece, if you can.  One skein of a different brand can stick out like a sore thumb, unless that's your intent or you're just making a scrap afghan.

When I want to use fancier, more expensive yarns, I use them in smaller projects like hats, scarves, or for trim or accents on larger projects like sweaters, shawls, afghans.  This  helps keep the cost down.  Yarn has gotten incredibly expensive in the last five years, even the "cheaper" brands.

And here's another tip:  Always crochet a gauge swatch of about 8 inches square and save it....eventually you'll have  a lot of them and can stitch them together into your own sampler afghan. Pin a note to it saying what size hook you're using because YOU WILL FORGET, LOL    I used to hate doing gauge swatches, especially if it seemed unnecessary like for an afghan.....but it really is necessary not just for size, but to practice the stitch pattern.  You'll be able to see if you've misunderstood the pattern, or sometimes the pattern is actually wrong.  You can also change the pattern, yourself.  Today I decided that the afghan I'm working on looks better with a dc cluster of 4, rather than the 3 called for, and I don't like the ch-5 for the turning chain, ch-4 looks better :-)

And don't let knitters get you down! heh heh  Happy Hooking!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
veola1975 wrote
on Apr 14, 2013 1:54 PM

I need some help with this too. I bought some cheap yarn at Walmart and it started unraveling immediately. I couldn't get the needle through the loops because of it. It was horrible.  But I am just learning to crochet so I don't want to spend a lot of money on yarn but if I don't get good yarn, I'm never going to learn!! Help please!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS