tightening a foundation chain

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Amphitecna wrote
on Oct 14, 2012 3:25 AM

Hello everyone,

I am very very new to this whole thing, and I don’t even know where to begin to search for help with my issue. If this has been addressed elsewhere, please link me to the thread!

So, I just finished the interior of my first project, which is a baby blanket for a friend. It looks fine as is, but I had envisioned putting a border on, and would like to do so. When I went to start, I realized that my foundation chain is a class A disaster. It’s very loose, and there’s, ahem more than 1 subsequently skipped stitch =-/. When I went to start the border, it looked terrible. It pulled so far away from the main part of the blanket it drew attention to the problem area. So I unraveled, and started again, trying to include the whole chain (and, I guess bottom?) of the first row of stitches. That also looked terrible, since there was so much of the main part of the blanket showing between the contrasting border.

Do any of you have any solutions? Can I somehow “shrink” that base row? The yarn is 50-some odd % mohair and 40-some odd% acrylic. Is this a lost cause (i.e. call it good and gift without the border)? I just had the idea of extending that row on the blanket, to hopefully hide the problem, then start the border on top of that…..may try it….

I don’t know if it matters for this issue, (which is why I’ve waited to this point to mention), but this is crochet and not knit. I am teaching myself, and other than the owner of my LYS, I don’t have anyone really to turn to for advice….so loving this community!

Ok, thanks a lot!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
pure wrote
on Dec 18, 2012 6:40 AM

It's hard to determine without actually seeing the project, but have you considered using two strands of yarn for the border? It might fill in the gap.  If it's really bad, you may consider sewing a border of fleece onto the project to cover up what you don't want others to see.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 152
zoe cro-z wrote
on Dec 19, 2012 10:29 AM

Hi,

What I would do in your case is: 1) Use a smaller hook to tighten the chains (chs)you've made to match it with the rest of the chs around your project, for example:  starting at the sc next to the first loose ch, *skip 1 ch, slst next. *   Repeat * * as many times needed.  Or (2) If your foundation chains form a loop then create a similar size loops around your project, you probly do not have to change hook to do this.  Then add a shell stitch edging around your project.  This will hide the corrective stitches you've made. 

I would better help you if you have a photo of the project.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS