Where's the "How do I" thread

This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Heather G wrote
on Oct 15, 2012 10:14 AM

Where's the "How do I" thread? It's not on the main community page.

Thanks Heather

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,275
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 15, 2012 1:41 PM

Hi Heather,

You can find the "How do I" thread here: http://www.crochetme.com/forums/p/40938/139216.aspx#139216

Good luck,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ReWeller wrote
on Oct 10, 2013 2:25 AM

Hi Toni -

I am having the same problem. I copied and pasted that link and got right back to this thread.

Maybe you're willing to answer my questions from here, anyway - so here goes: 

First: basically what does "5 long into the loop" mean. Its vintage doily instructions.

Here are the details:

Beeton's Book of Needlework and is in  the section called "Crochet d'oyleys in imitation of point lace". 262 --- D'Oyley No 1.: My question is about round 2: "e single crochet up the 3 1st of the chain in last row, *, 5 long into the loop" ... etc. I assume "single crochet up the 3 1st of the chain means 'sc in next 3 chain sts'. I did that. Then what does "5 long into the loop" mean?

Thanks for your help.

Rachel W

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,275
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 10, 2013 1:11 PM

That does sound like a difficult pattern. Is it translated? I'm not sure what "5 long into the loop" means. Generally a long stitch is a spike stitch. Is there a picture of the finished piece?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
ReWeller wrote
on Oct 11, 2013 10:33 AM

It doesn't seem to be translated since it was first published in Great Britain. There is a picture, but its not helpful because it is a bunch of small "d'oyleys" circled by a crocheted border, so I'm not sure which small doily she is starting with.  I did find instructions for the stitches in the beginning of the crochet section of the book, but none of the stitches are "long". There's a long double and a long treble, but not a plain long. So I'll just play around with it and see if I can make anything that looks decent.

If you know of anyone who is an "expert" on vintage crocheting, I'd love to be in touch. I haven't seen anything written about blocking doilies. Since the thread is cotton I am assuming its not as important as blocking wool yarn. I'm planning to "starch" the doilies with watered down white glue just to stiffen them up a little. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS