Newbie from Missouri

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
lannoe wrote
on Oct 18, 2012 2:21 PM

Hi, my name is Lori and I live in Missouri. I crochet some and am looking for a place to learn how to crochet afghans, sweaters, etc. I have trouble understanding directions more than anything. LOL. Also, looking forward to meeting some new people.

Thanks,

Lori

Not Ranked
Posts 8
lady.fiddler wrote
on Oct 18, 2012 3:50 PM

Hi Lori.  I was born in the Mighty MO!  Hannibal is my birth city.  Should we refer to each other as cousins?  *hehehe*

Lori, the best place to learn how to crochet is on YouTube.  There are many videos there but the ones produced by The Crochet Geek are the best.  She has right hand and left hand videos.  Why is it great?  You see her hands just as you see your own hands.  You can stop the video, back it up, jump forward, or slow it down.  It's the fastest and best way to learn how to crochet.  I'll post two links to her videos: one for right hand, one for left hand.  Both of these links will open in a new browser window. 

Left Hand

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL00C9020C7E0C4386&feature=plcp

Right Hand

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL59FA9DF4C757945B&feature=plcp

Have fun!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
lannoe wrote
on Oct 18, 2012 8:28 PM

Hey lady! Am in Jefferson City.. Thank you so much for the links. I will check them out. Are you still in MO??

Not Ranked
Posts 8
lady.fiddler wrote
on Nov 11, 2012 11:19 PM

Hi there,

I'm so sorry for my delay to your reply, however, I distinctly remember replying.  Perhaps I didn't click the correct 'send' option. 

Jefferson City, Mo's capital, brings a tender smile to my heart.  My paternal grandfather helped restore that building in the 1930's-1940's.  William Christy Turnbough was his name and I dubbed him "Cockeye".  He passed when I was nine, but he left me his fiddle which I often play.  I think of him every day without fail and I miss him terribly since he was the kindest person in my life.  Now I have two kind men in my life: my Marine grandson and my second husband, an Englishman.  More information than you ever bargained for, isn't it?  Sorry.  I babble.

When I was four my parents moved from Perry, Mo., to the San Francisco Bay Area in California.  We stayed there for a dozen years and then moved North into the Sierra Nevada Mountains near Lake Tahoe.  I live in a small village of 10,000 people, most of us know each other or are related to each other. 

Two years ago I retired as an elected official and thoroughly enjoy having rid myself of the terrible stresses, although, I must say, I did not know I had stress until it began to vanish, as did 50 pounds of excess weight without dieting.  I managed the stress, subconsciously, by working on very complex crochet patterns for doilies.  That was demanding and took all of my attention therefore the stress did not have a toe-hold on my mind.  Now, I simply crochet because I really love it.  See some of my work if you care to:  http://www.ladyfiddler.com

Best regards,

E. Christina Dabis

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS