Cardigan instructions-"work other side, reversing shaping"

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
DBursey wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 8:36 AM

Hello - I am trying to work a cardigan pattern in crochet, and I have hit a roadblock. I worked the first front of the cardigan, including the partial rows for the scoop neck, but for the other side, it simply says to "reverse shaping." Well, I can do that in knitting (even though crochet is my "first language") but I cannot figure out how to do it in crochet - is there some rule of thumb here?  I have to start in the middle of the row to create the scoop neckline, but that would mean having the wrong side on the front of the cardigan.  And I can't crochet backwards...so what does this mean?

If it's helpful at all, it's the cardigan called "Darby" in the Rowan Holiday Crochet book.

Thank you for any assistance --

Donna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,195
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 30, 2012 1:43 PM

Hi Donna,

Yes, I have run into crochet patterns that say to reverse shaping, and it is much more difficult in crochet. My suggestion would be to fasten your yarn off, then turn the project so the right side is facing and join in the middle of the row. If you are working in certain stitch patterns this might not work, but I have done it before for a simple single crochet.

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 2
DBursey wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 6:35 AM

Thanks, Toni.  Unfortunately, it's a shell stitch...I think I am going to have to work it on the wrong side of the front half.  I just don't see how I can do this any other way. :(  Not like you can join in the middle of the row and work that kind of pattern backwards...well, wait a minute - I have taught myself to crochet left-handed, so maybe I'll try that!  It would be weird, but it might work...I'll let you know!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
Chester2010 wrote
on Jan 30, 2013 12:03 PM

try these explanations

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Crochet-3235/2008/9/Crochet-Reverse-Shaping.htm

http://www.crochetville.com/community/topic/118410-reverse-shaping/

even though I have never done this, these sites made it clear to me.

Best Wishes

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS