help with berry baby hat pattern

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
HYoussef wrote
on Oct 31, 2012 6:38 PM

Hi, I found this free PDF pattern on Crochet Me for a beautiful berry baby hat and booties. I'm a beginner and I've tried to make the hat more than 4 times but it just doesn't come out right. It starts becoming very frilly from the 3rd row. I think there's a mistake in the pattern. Any tips, please? Many thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,242
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Nov 1, 2012 4:23 PM

Hi,

Have you checked your gauge? It could be that you are getting too many large stitches in a small area and that is causing the ruffling. I made this hat at the same time as another friend. I had a tiny bit of ruffling that I could smooth out with my hand; she had a lot of ruffing. She found that she needed to change to either a larger hook or a smaller yarn.

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 2
HYoussef wrote
on Nov 4, 2012 5:51 PM

Thank you for this, Toni. I tried several things but nothing worked with the beanie hat itself. I eventually found another pattern on Youtube for a simple beanie in single crochet. I learnt that the increase should be gradual rather than doubling the number of sc stitches every round and that it's also better to put a straightforward sc round between the rounds with increases. Anyway, I finally managed to finish the hat itself and will now start the leaves. Wish me good luck. I shall keep you updated :-)

Thanks again for replying to my query, happy crochet and have a great week,

H

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,242
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Nov 5, 2012 1:36 PM

Hi,

Yes, this particular pattern uses an unusual beanie construction. I am glad that you were able to find a pattern that worked for you.

Good luck!

Toni

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS