Trying to start triangular shawl

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
waynees wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 3:32 PM

These are the instructions I am trying to follow and just cannot get started. Can anyone help?

1st Row - Draw the loop on the hook an inch in length and make 2 ch. at the end of it, then work 12 loose treble into the commencing stitch, turn.

To make the loose tr., commence the tr. stitch in the ordinary way but, when drawing the loop through the work, draw it an inch in length, while finishing off in the usual manner.

2nd Row - 3 ch. (to stand for the 1st tr. stitch), 1 tr. into each stitch along the row (taking up the back thread only), turn. (The tr. stitches in this and the following plain rows should measure 1/2 inch in height).

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 532
Char55 wrote
on Dec 8, 2012 6:22 PM

1st Row:  Make your slip knot in your yarn and put it on your hook; now, holding onto the tail of that knot, pull the hook up until the loop is 1 inch long. Chain 2, work 12 loose (long) treble crochets into the long loop. Turn.

Loose (long) treble crochet: yarn over twice, insert hook into stitch, draw up a loop that is 1 inch long, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over pull through 2 loops, yarn over, pull through last 2 loops. (at least this is the American treble; the UK treble is the equivalent of the US double crochet in which case it would be done like this..."yarn over, insert hook into stitch, draw up a loop that is 1 inch long, yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over pull through last 2 loops.) The wording of the instructions sounds like UK pattern to me.

2nd row:  Chain 3 (this will count as first treble stitch); work 1 treble crochet into each stitch of 1st row using back loop only. Turn. The treble stitches in this row should only measure 1/2 inch high. (In other words, they are normal treble stitches; not the loose (long) ones of the previous row.)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
waynees wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 11:56 AM

any chance to get visual instructions?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 532
Char55 wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 1:22 PM

I searched the internet for a video tutorial showing a "long double crochet stitch" but the only ones that came up were for the "spike" stitch, not a true long double or treble like called for in the pattern.

Is this the pattern you're doing? http://www.antiquecrochetpatterns.com/triangular-shawl.html

Not Ranked
Posts 4
waynees wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 5:34 PM

Yes, that is the pattern,

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 532
Char55 wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 6:06 PM

I'm afraid that without actually making the project myself, I cannot provide anything in the way of visual aids. I checked the "contact" link on the website you got the pattern from and even they say that they are unable to answer any questions about specifics of the pattern. The pattern was originally printed in 1915 and no one at the website has tried to make the project from the pattern.

Perhaps if you tell me which part of the first 3 rows is confusing you the most (the long loops, the treble crochet, etc) I can help you better understand. Email me at cat-ghans@sbcglobal.net. If I know what's the most confusing to you, I can check to see if I can find a visual aid for that particular problem.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 532
Char55 wrote
on Dec 10, 2012 7:37 AM

Okay, I printed out the pattern and attempted the first few rows. I think they left out an instruction in Row 3.

Begin with a chain 2. Draw up a long (1") loop and chain 2; then work 12 long trebles in the first chain of the beginning chain 2. Turn

2nd row. chain 3 (counts as 1st treble); 1 regular treble in back loop only of each of the long trebles of row 1. Turn

3rd row:  Draw up a long loop & chain 2; work 11 long treble crochet into first stitch; skip 5 stitches; (here is where they left out the instructions) you need to either work a single crochet or a slip stitch in the next stitch after the 5 skipped stitches (this anchors the shell). then you skip 5 more stitches and put 12 long trebles into the last stitch. Turn

So the first row consists of 1 shell of long treble crochets; the third row consists of 2 shells; the 5th row will have 3 shells;  (you will have 12 long trebles or a shell at each end of the row and between shells of the previous row)  I hope this helps.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 10, 2014 10:44 PM

Chain 7 treble stitch in forth chain and next 3 chains

Chain 7 turn

4 trebles in side if last treble 

Chain 3 and 3 trebles onside of first 3 chains

Row three.  

Chain 7 turn

Somthing close to this on each row

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS