Very thin, cool yarn! How to use?

This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
rafficat wrote
on Dec 9, 2012 7:04 AM

Recently I purchased a couple of skeins of very cool yarn that I couldn't resist. Just loved the look and texture of it -- it's a repurposed mixed-material (acrylic, poly, etc.) thin but bobbly/textured kind of yarn. I LOVE the look and feel of it, but I'm not really sure what exactly I can do with it, or what such a yarn might work well with.

I'd love any ideas you might have, ways to use, techniques, advice when handling very textured and thin yarn, etc.

Thank you!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
crochetgal2 wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 2:25 PM

That yarn sounds lovely!

Depending on how much of the yarn you have you could make a scarf or a shawl with it. Or if it coordinates with something else that you are making, you could use it as an accent.

I like to use fine yarns on large hooks to give a nice lacy look shawl.

http://crochetgal.etsy.com - beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 152
zoe cro-z wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 11:17 AM

For yarns that I've never used before, It is best to do a small swatch to see how easy or hard it is to work with this particular yarn, before starting a big project.  I had regretted buying a beautiful metallic yarn on impulse without testing it first.  It was so difficult to work with.  The project is still on my WIP stash, even if all I have to do is to connect all the squares.  I'm not saying that all metallic yarn are difficult to work with, it just depends on what brand.  Caron and Lion Brand have came up with metallic yarns that I find easy to work on.  Fancy yarns are best for trimming edges of projects.  I had made a shrug and trimmed it with a leftover metallic yarn.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
Neterete wrote
on Jan 3, 2013 1:09 PM

It’s really great post.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
Chester2010 wrote
on Jan 28, 2013 12:16 PM

http://www.hobbylobby.com/assets/pdf/project_inspiration/projects/hl-230326.pdf

search Google for topics like strands of yarn scarf, or string scarf.

I also like the suggestion of using large hook for loose crochet that would highlight your yarn.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
psdumas wrote
on Mar 20, 2013 7:20 PM

Hey!

Double up your cool yarn with a nice, basic worsted, or DK.. Makes a beautiful shawl or scarf. Big needles or small.

Pat

at the Jersey Shore

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS