crochet edging help

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
kathyh07 wrote
on Jan 4, 2013 12:57 PM

I have a beautiful pieced quilt 24" square made by a deceased family member Broken Heartand I really want to crochet around it to make a round table cloth.  I have no idea how to take it from square to round and any help or ideas would be appreciated.  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 225
on Jan 5, 2013 8:35 AM

I've put edgings around flannel for baby blankets and rounded the edges by using a bowl as a guide. I placed the bowl in one corner of the flannel to mark the rounded edge.   To ensure each corner is then the same, I folded the cut edge to each corner to mark my cutting line.  Since you probably want it perfectly round, you can use the old trick of placing a pin with a string attached the length that will go to the point where you want to cut.  Attach a marker to the end of the string and draw your circle.  Here is a link to some nice edgings:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/edgings.php

Not Ranked
Posts 3
kathyh07 wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 12:56 PM

Thank you for the idea.  I may have to do that but was really wanting to leave the square as is and add to the border in some way so that  the border is round  with the square in the center ... if that makes any sense.Huh?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 225
on Jan 6, 2013 8:44 AM

I'm sorry!  I totally misunderstood!  You'll have to put a base row on the quilt so that you'll have something to crochet into. If you have a machine for quilting or know of someone that does, chances are you or (they) have a stitch that can be sewn around the edge so you can get started.   Another option is to hand-stitch around the edge to create that starting row (use a very durable thread).  When you have that done and want to start rounding your project, you need to build the stitches on the sides working toward the corners until it reaches a rounded appearance so that you can continue the edging around the entire piece.  Below kind of gives an example of what I'm talking about.  I hope this is somewhat helpful.  You could also just make a rounded doily that is larger than the quilt and then lay the quilt on top of it.  The doily will give it a "rounded" frame.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
kathyh07 wrote
on Jan 8, 2013 8:50 PM

yes it does and Thank you so much!  It is beautiful.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS