Knooking?

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
CrochetRos wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 11:33 AM

I was wondering whether anybody has tried knooking with any success. For those who haven't seen it, it's a technique for knitting using an adapted crochet hook that has a hole in the end to thread a cord to hold the stitches.

I came across a beginner's kit the other day and was somewhat intrigued so I bought it. The technique is very simple, but I found it almost impossible to execute! The problem is, because the stitches are being held on a cord rather than on a second knitting needle, they flatten out and are very difficult to pick up again with the crochet hook. Yes, it sort of works, but it is really slow. Maybe with  practice one could pick up the pace, but I can't see it being as fast as actually knitting (which I don't like because it's too slow!). I returned this kit to the store. Fortunately, I was able to try one hook and cord without messing up anything.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,195
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 12:52 PM

I tried Knooking and found that I had to make sure that I worked loosely. If you like the technique and wanted to try something similar, I would suggest Tunisian crochet. You can check out some free patterns in our eBook and see what you think.

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 3
CrochetRos wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 1:19 PM

Thanks for the link!

Yes, I am currently experimenting with Tunisian crochet. I haven't decided whether I like it or not. I think it would be nice to make some jackets, but might be a little too labor intensive.

Did you make anything with the knook? Isn't knitting much easier?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,195
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jan 7, 2013 1:30 PM

I love Tunisian crochet. I am well and truly hooked. LOL! It can be a little labor intensive, but creates fabulous warm jackets and accessories. Now I am exploring Tunisian lace and am really excited about that.

I mostly just played around with the knook. Yes, for me knitting was easier, but I have heard that people who don't know how to knit really enjoy the knook. And truthfully knitting wasn't easy at first either, so I suppose that knooking would become much easier with practice. I would like to explore some of the more complicated stitches with it some time. So much to do so little time.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS