Broomstick Lace & Melonberry yarn questions

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Eurelisse wrote
on Jan 19, 2013 11:53 AM

Bought a ton of Melonberry (mult-color) yarn to make a double-stranded broomstick afghan.

After looking at it, I can't double strand it because each ball of colors won't line up - right?   If so, could I double-strand it with one melonberry and one solid and it will still look nice?

lol  If this plan doesn't work, will the broomstick lace stitch itself act like a double strand?

I'll be teaching myself this stitch soon and thought I'd ask first so I don't lose too many brain cells and woman-hours.  lol

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Valli2 wrote
on Jan 20, 2013 2:12 AM

Hi,

I've had some success double stranding multi-colored yarn. Sometimes its muddy, sometimes its attractive. I think your idea of stranding with a solid should work well. Why not do a few swatches? You could learn the technique at the same time you find out which color option you like best. I dont think you will be happy with a single strand though. Yes the stitch stretches, but not enough to make up for being half the weight. But again, a swatch would tell you for sure.Swatching can save disappointments and time in the end. You can even make items like patch work afghans from swatches. Broomstick lace is fun and pretty once you get the hang of it!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 74
LI Roe wrote
on Jan 20, 2013 1:38 PM

I've never done broomstick (yet) but I have doubled multli color yarn and it comes out very nice. I also have used one strand multi with one strand solid also. Sometimes I twist the yarn as I am crocheting to make one color stand out  more. It is a matter of just playing around with it and seeing what you like best. 

Have fun with it.

LI Roe

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS