Help, please? - Trying to decipher a pattern

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
katie220 wrote
on Feb 5, 2013 6:28 AM

Hi, I'm new to crochet & loving it. I'm making a purse from a pattern in a book, The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet. Here is what it says towards the end of crocheting the back & front:

Next row: Ch1, sk first st, sc2tog, sc in each st until last 3sts, sc2tog, 1sc in tch, turn -- 41sc.

Next row: Ch1, sk first st, 1sc in each st across, 1 sc in top of tch, turn. (okay, I actually get all of that)

Rep last 2 rows 2 times more -- 37dc. Fasten off.

My question is, this is all single crochet. Do they mean that you add 37double crochet after you repeat the last 2 rows 2 times? They kind of threw in the double crochet without saying there was a final row of it.

My other question is more general: this entire pattern is worked in sc through the back loop. Do you think that would make the purse less sturdy, since you are only crocheting through one loop? I've finished the gusset and the strap, and haven't yet started the body of the purse. I'm a complete novice, and any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks,

Katie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 518
Char55 wrote
on Feb 5, 2013 8:39 AM

It seems to be a simple typing error; since the "d" on the keyboard is right next to the "s" I think they just hit the wrong key. It looks like  you're supposed to have 37 single crochet stitches by the time you finish.

Can't answer the question about the sturdiness of the purse, but ripple baby blankets worked in back loop only seem to be strong enough...I guess it would depend on how much stuff you're planning to put in the purse.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
katie220 wrote
on Feb 6, 2013 6:21 AM

Thanks! You know, that's how I was leaning, since all their other patterns seem to conclude with the total number of stitches. It seemed a little weird to just throw in a dc without any previous mention. I guess the book's proofreader was taking a nap :)  I've now started crocheting the body of the purse through the back loop. It is a pretty ridged pattern, and does seem more springy than regular single crochet, but I won't be carrying too much stuff in there. I may make a lining for it, if I can figure out how to do it.

Thank you very much!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
LI Roe wrote
on Feb 6, 2013 5:37 PM

I agree, it should have probably said 37sc,

If you are concerned about the sturdiness of the purse, you may be able to line it with the same color material or a constrasting color, depending on what you like.

I used to make little purses for my friends' great nieces (with matching hats and scarves) and always put in a lining since I didn't want things to possibly poke through the stitches.

Just a thought.

LI Roe

Not Ranked
Posts 3
katie220 wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 6:24 AM

I went ahead and crocheted the back, ending with sc through both loops, so that the top of the purse has a little more structure. After having done it, I'm convinced that the dc was a typo. I'm going back and forth about lining it (ooh, how I dislike sewing, and I just know the bobbins on the machine have it in for me :), but I'll decide when I get more of it constructed. Thanks so much!

Katie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 518
Char55 wrote
on Feb 7, 2013 8:40 AM

Glad it is working out for you...good luck with the lining...haven't tried doing that.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS