Need advice/tips for working with lace-weight yarn

This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
cmoehl wrote
on Feb 8, 2013 9:33 PM

I need advice/tips for working with lace-weight yarn.

I have purchased an equivalent lace weight yarn (elann.com Peruvian Baby Lace Merino;

50% Baby Alpaca/ 50% Fine Merino; 50g / 600 yards ) for the Lace Motif Cardigan, by Kristin Omdahl.

I usually crochet with worsted or chunky weight yarn.  I have been working with the yarn but am having issues handling the yarn and the smaller needle.  Does anyone have any advice or tips for working with lace-weight yarn?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 73
Chester2010 wrote
on Feb 14, 2013 12:50 PM

Hello,

I do not know your level of experience with crochet.  Fine yarn and lacy patterns like lightweight shawls are not a good place for a beginner to start.

There are lace weight yarn patterns for beginners, perhaps to practice before a more complicated cardigan.

I have purchased a pair of drug store reading glasses for my fine needlework and find I am more relaxed and a little faster with fewer mistakes.

Perhaps practice the cardigan's stitch pattern in a sample like you might make to adjust gauge to reach a better comfort level.

Fine yarn takes patience and a bit of time to adjust your crochet technique.

Best wishes

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jun 6, 2013 12:13 AM

As far as the hooks go, you can make them "fatter" by wrapping them with yarn, clay, (I used medical wrap and pencil grips), etc. That makes holding the hook easier for me. The yarn, however, takes a little practice and getting used to. The more you use it, the easier it gets. I always wrap the yarn around my fingers the same way no mater what the weight, and tensioning can be tricky at first, but the longer you do it, the easier it becomes.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS